Why are some molecules chiral and others achiral?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of chirality and achirality in organic chemistry. The individual is struggling to understand the reasons behind certain molecules being classified as chiral or achiral, despite knowing the answers to specific questions. The suggestion of building models to better visualize the structures and their mirror images is given, along with the concept of meso and the use of mirror planes and inversion centers. The individual mentions being familiar with finding stereocenters and it being a helpful starting point in understanding chirality.
Gannon
I really don't understand any of this. I already know the answers to these, but I don't know why they are chiral or achiral. Any help is appreciated.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g231/Paylardo/Chriality.jpg

The "HO" on the far left was cut off. It is just another hydroxyl group.

Physics news on Phys.org
do you understand the term 'meso'? Sometimes it helps to build models of the structures and their mirror image to see if they are superimposable.

I've built models, but when it comes to a test I'll need to be able to see that they can superimpose in more ways than one... I've seen meso further in the book where I'm studying, but other than that I know nothing about it. There is something about mirror planes and inversion centers that I understand a little bit, but I can't apply them to these.

Derivation on angular acceleration

I know how to find stereocenters; would that help me?

That is where you start. Familiarity with models will help you visualize the structures (without models) during your test. This is common practice in undergrad organic chem.

What is stereochemistry?

Stereochemistry is the study of the spatial arrangement of atoms in molecules and how it affects their chemical and physical properties.

What is chirality?

Chirality is a property of molecules that have a nonsuperimposable mirror image, also known as enantiomers. This means that the molecule and its mirror image cannot be overlapped and are not identical.

Why is chirality important in chemistry?

Chirality is important in chemistry because it can greatly affect a molecule's properties, such as its reactivity and biological activity. Chiral molecules can also interact differently with other molecules, which can have significant implications in drug design and synthesis.

How can chirality be determined experimentally?

Chirality can be determined experimentally through various techniques such as X-ray crystallography, NMR spectroscopy, and chiral chromatography. These techniques can help determine the spatial arrangement of atoms in a molecule and whether it is chiral or not.

What is the difference between a chiral and achiral molecule?

A chiral molecule has a nonsuperimposable mirror image, while an achiral molecule does not. In other words, a chiral molecule is asymmetric and has a handedness, while an achiral molecule is symmetric and does not have a handedness.