Why have quotes-in-quotes stopped appearing on PF?

• Thread starter EnumaElish
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of quotes-in-quotes not appearing when quoting in the PF forum. This feature used to work automatically but has since stopped. It is speculated that this was done to prevent inexperienced members from posting excessive quotes. However, the multi-quote feature is now available for retaining context by quoting multiple posts. The only exception is when quoting something other than a post. The multi-quote button is located next to the quote button and is available on all skins except for Nexus.
EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
When I first joined PF quotes-in-quotes did appear (upon quoting). At some point that stopped working. Anyone know why?

Example:
EnumaElish said:
God, I love quoting myself!
EnumaElish said:
Earlier quote which used to happen automatically but does not now.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep, it was to stop inexperienced members from posting long strings of quotes when they only needed to quote the last post. We now have the multi quote feature, so if you need to retain the original quote and one after it for context, just quote both posts.

The only time this doesn't work is if someone is quoting something other than another post. You can always just copy and paste the text into your reply if it's really important to retain.

Is the multi-quote option something that I should see if I "Go Advanced"?

No, it's the button next to the "quote" button. You should see it right now. If not, try refreshing your cache.

PS: You will not see it if your skin is Nexus. Switch to Prime.

1. Why are quotes-in-quotes not appearing in my text?

Quotes-in-quotes may not appear correctly if the text you are using has been copied and pasted from another source, such as a website or document. In some cases, the quotation marks may be converted into a different character that is not recognized as a quotation mark by the software or platform you are using.

2. How can I fix the issue of quotes-in-quotes not showing up?

If you are experiencing this issue, try manually typing in the quotation marks instead of copying and pasting them. You can also try using a different font or text editor, as some fonts may not support certain characters. If the issue persists, you may need to check the settings of your software or platform to ensure that it recognizes quotation marks correctly.

3. Are there any specific rules for using quotes-in-quotes?

Yes, proper usage of quotes-in-quotes can vary depending on the style guide or formatting guidelines you are following. In general, quotes-in-quotes should be used when a direct quote appears within another direct quote. It is important to use the correct punctuation and formatting to ensure clarity and accuracy in your writing.

4. Can quotes-in-quotes be used in all types of writing?

Yes, quotes-in-quotes can be used in all types of writing, including academic papers, articles, and creative writing. However, it is important to use them correctly and sparingly to avoid confusion or cluttering of the text. Always check the guidelines for the specific style or format you are using to ensure proper usage.

5. Is there a difference between single and double quotes-in-quotes?

In most cases, there is no difference between using single or double quotes-in-quotes. However, some style guides may have specific guidelines for using one over the other. As long as you are consistent and use the correct punctuation and formatting, both types of quotes-in-quotes are acceptable.