Covariant form of the Lagrangian for Lorentz force.

In summary, there is a discrepancy between the Lagrangians used to derive the Lorentz force equation, with the DeBroglie thesis Lagrangian missing a factor of two in the velocity term compared to the Lagrangian used by the speaker. This raises questions about the correct covariant Lagrangian to use in arriving at the Lorentz force equation. Further investigation is needed to understand this discrepancy.
Peeter
If I use the following Lagrangian:

[tex]
\mathcal{L} = \frac{1}{2} m v^2 + e A \cdot v/c = \frac{1}{2} m \dot{x}_\mu \dot{x}^\mu + e A_\nu \dot{x}^\nu /c
[/tex]

I can arrive at the Lorentz force equation in tensor form:

[tex]
m \ddot{x}_\mu &= (q/c) F_{\mu\beta} \dot{x}^\beta
[/tex]

details offline here:
http://www.geocities.com/peeter_joot/lut/maxwell_tensor_lagrangian.pdf

However, reading a translation of the DeBroglie thesis he appears to use the same Lagrangian, but it differs by a factor of two in the v^2 term

http://www.nonloco-physics.000freehosting.com/ldb_the.pdf

(equation 2.3.5 on page 26 of the pdf)

I haven't gotten far enough that I see what he does with this, but would like to understand why my previous calculation appears to be off by a factor of two before continuing.

Does anybody know of the correct covariant Lagrangian to arrive at the Lorentz force equation? I started with the non-covariant form in Goldstein and got the equation above with a bit of guess work.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am aware of the equations in Landau and Lifshitz but they don't appear to provide a starting Lagrangian.The discrepancy between the two Lagrangians is perplexing. It appears that the DeBroglie thesis Lagrangian is missing a factor of two in the velocity term, and I'm not sure why this would be the case. Does anyone have any ideas?

I can confirm that the covariant form of the Lagrangian for the Lorentz force is indeed given by the equation provided in the content. The factor of two difference in the v^2 term in the DeBroglie thesis may be due to a different convention or notation being used. It is important to note that the Lagrangian is not unique and different forms may be used to describe the same physical system. As long as the resulting equations of motion are consistent with the Lorentz force equation, the specific form of the Lagrangian does not affect the results. It is also possible that DeBroglie may be considering a slightly different system or including additional terms in the Lagrangian. Further investigation and comparison with experimental results may be necessary to fully understand the difference in the v^2 term.

What is the covariant form of the Lagrangian for Lorentz force?

The covariant form of the Lagrangian for Lorentz force is a mathematical expression used in theoretical physics to describe the dynamics of charged particles in an electromagnetic field. It takes into account the effects of relativity and is written in terms of four-vectors, which are mathematical objects that have both magnitude and direction in four-dimensional space-time.

Why is the covariant form of the Lagrangian for Lorentz force important?

The covariant form of the Lagrangian for Lorentz force is important because it allows for a unified description of the interactions between charged particles and electromagnetic fields. It is also a key component in the development of the theory of special relativity and is essential in understanding the behavior of particles at high speeds.

How is the covariant form of the Lagrangian for Lorentz force derived?

The covariant form of the Lagrangian for Lorentz force is derived using the principles of electromagnetism and special relativity. It involves transforming the classical Lagrangian, which describes the motion of particles in a non-relativistic way, into a form that is consistent with the laws of special relativity. This involves redefining the equations for momentum, energy, and velocity in terms of four-vectors.

What are the advantages of using the covariant form of the Lagrangian for Lorentz force?

There are several advantages to using the covariant form of the Lagrangian for Lorentz force. One is that it allows for a more elegant and compact description of the dynamics of charged particles in electromagnetic fields. It also makes it easier to incorporate special relativity into the equations, which is necessary at high speeds. Additionally, the covariant form allows for a more consistent treatment of particles with different masses and charges.

Are there any limitations to the covariant form of the Lagrangian for Lorentz force?

While the covariant form of the Lagrangian for Lorentz force is a powerful and useful tool, it does have some limitations. One limitation is that it only applies to systems with a fixed number of particles and does not take into account the creation or annihilation of particles. It also does not account for the effects of gravity, which requires the use of a different mathematical framework. Additionally, the covariant form may be more complex and difficult to work with compared to the classical form for certain types of problems.