Finding Gravitational Acceleration with Atwood Machine Graphs

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate the gravitational acceleration based on three graphs: accleration vs. total mass, acceleration vs. mass difference, and acceleration vs. inverse total mass. The equation for a system with only two masses over a single pulley is given as a = (m1 - m2)g/(m1 + m2), showing that the acceleration is directly proportional to the mass difference and the inverse of the total mass. The group is seeking further clarification and input on the relationship between gravitational force and the three graphs. The lab is due tomorrow and they urgently need help.
snsquare

Homework Statement

I have 3 graphs: accleration vs. total mass, acceleration vs. mass difference, and acceleration vs. inverse total mass.

How can I get the gravitational acceleration from these 3 graphs ?

I am doing a lab report on word and excel

Homework Equations

I don't think there is one, may be it will be the slope ??

The Attempt at a Solution

I think finding the slope of those graphs ? But what wil be the relationship between slope and gravitational acceleration ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone give some inputs. I really need help now. My lab is due tomorrow.

What do you guys think is the relationship between gravitational force and those 3 graphs ?

For a system with only two masses over a single pulley:

[tex] a = \frac{(m1 - m2)g}{m1 + m2} [/tex]

so acceleration is directly proportional to mass difference (m1 - m2), and directly proportional to "inverse total mass" 1/(m1 + m2).

1. How does an Atwood machine work?

An Atwood machine is a simple device used to measure gravitational acceleration. It consists of a pulley, a string, and two masses hanging on either end of the string. When one mass is released, the other mass will move due to the force of gravity, and the time it takes for the masses to move a certain distance can be used to calculate the gravitational acceleration.

2. What is the equation for calculating gravitational acceleration using an Atwood machine?

The equation for calculating gravitational acceleration using an Atwood machine is g = 2d/t2, where g is the gravitational acceleration, d is the distance the masses move, and t is the time it takes for the masses to move that distance.

3. How can I use a graph to find the gravitational acceleration with an Atwood machine?

To use a graph to find the gravitational acceleration, you can plot the distance the masses moved on the x-axis and the square of the time it took on the y-axis. The slope of the line on the graph will be equal to 2g, so dividing the slope by 2 will give you the value of g.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the gravitational acceleration calculation with an Atwood machine?

The accuracy of the gravitational acceleration calculation can be affected by factors such as air resistance, friction in the pulley, and the weight of the string. These factors can introduce errors in the measurement of distance and time, leading to a less accurate result.

5. How can I improve the accuracy of my gravitational acceleration calculation with an Atwood machine?

To improve the accuracy of your calculation, you can minimize the effects of air resistance and friction by using a smooth, lightweight string and ensuring the pulley is in good condition. You can also repeat the experiment multiple times and take an average of the results to reduce the impact of any outliers. Additionally, using a larger distance and longer time interval can also improve the accuracy of the calculation.