Exploring Bessel Function Generating Function

In summary, the Bessel function generating function can be represented as e^(t/2(z-1/z)) and can be used to derive an integral representation for the Bessel function. This can be done by inserting a specific contour, such as z=exp(i*theta), into the function.
maddogtheman

Homework Statement

The Bessel function generating function is
[tex]
e^{\frac{t}{2}(z-\frac{1}{z})} = \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty J_n(t)z^n
[/tex]

Show
[tex]
J_n(t) = \frac{1}{\pi} \int_0^\pi cos(tsin(\vartheta)-n\vartheta)d\vartheta
[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have been able to use an analytic function theorem to write

[tex]
J_n(t)=\frac{1}{2\pi i} \oint e^{\frac{t}{2}(z-\frac{1}{z})}z^{-n-1}dz
[/tex]
(we are required to use this)
But now I have no idea where to go from here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

It looks to me like you want to insert a specific contour. Like z=exp(i*theta).

Thanks can't believe I missed it

Using Bessel generating function to derive a integral representation of Bessel function

1. What are Bessel functions and why are they important in mathematics?

Bessel functions are a set of special functions that were first introduced by the German mathematician Friedrich Bessel in the early 19th century. They are important in mathematics because they have many applications in physics, engineering, and other areas of science. They are also used to solve differential equations, which are fundamental in many fields of science.

2. What is the generating function for Bessel functions?

The generating function for Bessel functions is an infinite series representation of Bessel functions. It is given by the formula ∑n=0∞ Jn(x)t^n/n!, where Jn(x) is the nth order Bessel function and t is a variable. This function is useful in finding new properties and relationships between Bessel functions.

3. How do Bessel functions relate to Fourier series?

Bessel functions are closely related to Fourier series. In fact, they can be expressed as a special case of Fourier series, known as the Fourier-Bessel series. This means that any function that can be represented by a Fourier-Bessel series can also be represented by a series of Bessel functions. This relationship is important in solving problems involving periodic functions.

4. Can Bessel functions be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, Bessel functions have many real-world applications. They are commonly used in physics and engineering to describe and solve problems involving waves, heat transfer, and vibrations. They are also used in other fields such as electromagnetics, signal processing, and even finance.

5. Are there different types of Bessel functions?

Yes, there are several types of Bessel functions, including the first kind (Jn(x)), the second kind (Yn(x)), and the modified Bessel functions (In(x) and Kn(x)). These different types have unique properties and are used for different purposes in mathematics and the sciences.