Sound traveling in water, compared to air - help please

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of sound traveling faster in water than in air and how this affects the velocity, wavelength, and frequency of the sound. The equation v=wavelength x frequency was mentioned and it was noted that the frequency of the wave does not change in water. One participant suggested that V=(alpha)(f) and if the frequency remains constant and the velocity increases by a factor of four, then the wavelength would also increase by a factor of four. A thought experiment was also presented involving a speaker and a swimming pool to demonstrate the difference in sound perception.
Greywolfe1982

Homework Statement

"Sound travels faster in water than in air. In our experiment, which aspects of velocity, wavelength and frequency changed when part of the sound traveled through the water? If the speed in water is faster by a factor of four, by how much did the wavelength and the frequency change?"

Homework Equations

velocity = wavelength x frequency

The Attempt at a Solution

The velocity I averaged out from the experiment was 309m/s (I know it's far off, but that's not the issue right now). I assumed I would use v=wavelength x frequency, but I only know one of the variables, because it said that both wavelength and frequency changed.

Physics news on Phys.org
If i remember correctly, the frequency of the wave doesn't change in water as opposed to air actually.

If you send a pulse into air aimed towards the water at a certain frequency do you think that the frequency would change once it hits the water?

You are sending the wave out at a certain frequency so when the wave is traveling through the air, it hits the water and goes into the water at the same rate you send it in at. So as it goes through the water at that same frequency.

So by that logic it would make sense that V=(alpha)(f), if f remained constant and V increased by a factor of 4, that the wavelength would also increase by a factor of 4.

Okay, thanks. My thoughts were that the water wouldn't change the frequency, but I wasn't absolutely sure.

No Problem

No, it did not say both changed, it asked you to recall which one(s) changed?

Thought experiment: Take a water-proof speaker generating a 440 Hz sine wave to the edge of a swimming pool. Now submerge yourself with the speaker in a swimming pool. What difference does your ear perceive?

1. How does sound travel in water compared to air?

Sound travels faster and farther in water than in air. The speed of sound in water is about 4 times faster than in air, and it can transmit over longer distances due to water's higher density.

2. What factors affect the speed of sound in water?

The speed of sound in water is affected by temperature, salinity, and depth. Generally, sound travels faster in warmer, less salty water and slower in colder, saltier water. Sound also travels faster at greater depths due to the increased pressure.

3. How does sound behave when it travels through water?

Sound waves in water behave differently compared to air because of the water's density. In water, sound waves travel in a circular motion, while in air, they travel in a straight line. This circular motion allows sound to travel over longer distances and be heard from different directions.

4. Can sound travel through all types of water equally?

No, sound travels differently through freshwater and saltwater. Saltwater has a higher density than freshwater, and therefore, sound travels faster and farther in saltwater. This difference in sound travel can affect marine animals' communication and sonar technology used by ships and submarines.

5. How does the depth of the water affect the transmission of sound?

The depth of the water has a significant impact on how sound travels. As the depth increases, the speed of sound also increases due to the increased pressure. However, sound can also be absorbed by particles and sediment in deeper water, reducing its transmission capability.