Video, Converting .3G2 File Extensions

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of being unable to play .3g2 format videos from cell-phones on computers without QuicktimeTM. The solution suggested is to use the VLC video player, which can also convert the videos to other formats.
LURCH
Science Advisor
My wife and I have cell-phones that take really good video. Unfortunately, the videos are in the ".3G2" format, and when we try to download them to our computers, the computer can't play the video. It is my understanding that we could play them with Apple's QuicktimeTM, but I had that software before and I don't want to download it again. Besides, many of our friends and family members don't have QuicktimeTM, and we want to send video of our newborn to them.

Does anybody know of a way to convert .3g2 to .AVI, jpg, WMP, or some other form that the average media player can play? Also, is this some kind of agreement between Apple and Motorola?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Computer science news on Phys.org

I understand your frustration with trying to play .3G2 video files on your computer. This file format was designed by the 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) for use on mobile devices, but it is not widely supported by media players on computers.

Fortunately, there are several options for converting .3G2 files to more commonly used formats like .AVI, .jpg, and .WMP. There are many free online converters available, such as FileZigZag or Convertio, which allow you to upload your .3G2 file and select the desired output format. There are also software programs available for purchase, such as Wondershare UniConverter or Movavi Video Converter, that offer more advanced features for converting and editing videos.

Regarding your question about Apple and Motorola, there is no specific agreement between the two companies for the .3G2 file format. However, Apple's QuicktimeTM software does support .3G2 files, which is why it may be the best option for playing these videos on your computer.

I hope this information helps you in converting and sharing your .3G2 videos with your friends and family. Remember to always use reputable sources when downloading or purchasing software, and make sure to properly dispose of any personal information from your devices before disposing of them.

1. What is a .3G2 file extension and what type of video file is it?

A .3G2 file extension is a video file format developed by the 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP). It is commonly used for cell phone video files and is similar to the .3GP file format.

2. How do I convert a .3G2 file to a different video format?

There are several software programs available that can convert .3G2 files to other video formats. Some popular options include Handbrake, Any Video Converter, and Freemake Video Converter. You can also use an online file converter tool.

3. Can I open a .3G2 file on my computer?

Yes, most modern media players such as VLC, Windows Media Player, and QuickTime can play .3G2 files. However, you may need to install additional codecs if your media player does not support this file format.

4. Is there a difference between .3G2 and .3GP files?

Both .3G2 and .3GP are video file formats developed by 3GPP. The main difference between the two is that .3G2 files support MPEG-4 Part 2 video compression, while .3GP files do not. This means that .3G2 files can have higher quality videos than .3GP files.

5. Can I convert a .3G2 file to a .3GP file?

Yes, it is possible to convert a .3G2 file to a .3GP file using a video conversion software. However, some quality loss may occur as .3GP files do not support MPEG-4 Part 2 compression.