Tube Furnace Fabrication: Any Tips or Recommendations?

• Thread starter KYPOWERLIFTER
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tube
In summary, the conversation discusses the production of a laboratory tube furnace capable of high temperatures, specifically 1300 C. The components mentioned include Mullite tubes, Kanthal A-1 wire, Kaowool insulation blanket, and a stove pipe as the outer tube. The speaker also has questions regarding the components and recommendations for a thermocouple, thermometer, and circuit for adjusting power. They plan on creating a how-to thread with pictures once the project is completed. The estimated cost for the project is around $500.
KYPOWERLIFTER
Hi All:

I plan on producing a laboratory tube furnace capable of = to or > 1300 C. Does anyone have any experience working with materials designed for these temps?

I have been pricing Mullite tubes: 500 mm L; ~34 ID; ~40mm OD, 18 G Kanthal A-1 wire (to be wrapped around the tube), Kaowool insulation blanket, and a piece of 'stove pipe' to be the outer tube.

Right now I have two questions:

1) Any suggestions as to the above components? By that I mean suggestions, as to better (in terms of quality and ability to take temperature), grades/types?

2) I need to purchase a thermocouple and thermometer. Recommendations? I also need to design a circuit to adjust power to the wire. What would you guys do and how would you arrange it? I was thinking some sort of dimmer switch (have to handle 2000W power @ 230V) parallel with a bulb as indicator?

Bear with me... When I get it going I'll make a how-to thread with pictures.

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Update:

I have located two Mullite tubes; one @ 83.00 and one @ 86.00

Kanthal A-1 Wire @ 15.00-20.00

ITC 100 HT ceramic paste @ 38.00

Kaowool 1" 2600F 2 ft2 @ 13.50

Variac (for temp control) ebay searching ~100.00

Stove pipe... 10.00-15.00

Thermocouple and thermometer with the TP 04 thermocouple 89.99 http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260359668034&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:CA:1123

Quartz glass test tube (with ground glass joint) for use inside furnace... ~100.00

I need to find a glassblower, I assume.

Suggestions/Thoughts? This is looking like a 500.00 project...

Last edited by a moderator:

I would recommend the following tips and recommendations for tube furnace fabrication:

1. Consider the materials carefully: When working with high temperatures, it is important to choose materials that can withstand the heat without melting or deforming. Mullite is a good choice, but it is always worth researching and comparing different materials to find the best option for your specific needs.

2. Pay attention to the dimensions: Make sure the dimensions of your furnace are suitable for your experiments and that the materials you choose fit properly. It is also important to consider the size and shape of your heating element, as this can affect the uniformity of the temperature inside the furnace.

3. Insulation is key: The type and quality of insulation used can greatly impact the performance of your furnace. Kaowool is a good option, but again, it is worth researching and comparing different types to find the best fit for your needs.

4. Invest in a high-quality thermocouple and thermometer: Accurate temperature measurement is crucial in any experiment, so it is worth investing in high-quality equipment to ensure accuracy and reliability.

5. Safety first: When designing the circuit for adjusting power to the wire, safety should be the top priority. It is important to use appropriate equipment and to follow all safety guidelines and regulations.

6. Document your process: As you mentioned, creating a how-to thread with pictures is a great idea. Documenting your process can not only help others, but it can also serve as a reference for yourself in case you need to make any adjustments or replicate the furnace in the future.

Overall, my recommendation would be to thoroughly research and compare different materials and equipment to find the best fit for your specific needs. Also, prioritize safety and proper documentation throughout the fabrication process. Good luck with your project!

1. What is a tube furnace?

A tube furnace is a type of furnace used in materials science and engineering to heat materials to high temperatures in a controlled environment. It consists of a cylindrical heating chamber made of high-temperature resistant materials, with a heating element running through the center. The material to be heated is placed inside a ceramic or quartz tube, which is then inserted into the heating chamber.

2. How are tube furnaces fabricated?

Tube furnaces are typically fabricated using high-temperature resistant materials such as refractory ceramic or quartz. The materials are first cut to the desired dimensions and shaped into a cylindrical chamber. The heating element is then installed and connected to a power source. Finally, the tube furnace is sealed and insulated to ensure efficient heating and temperature control.

3. What are the advantages of tube furnace fabrication?

Tube furnace fabrication offers several advantages, including precise temperature control, uniform heating, and the ability to create a controlled atmosphere within the heating chamber. They are also relatively compact and can be easily integrated into larger experimental setups.

4. What types of materials can be heated in a tube furnace?

Tube furnaces can be used to heat a wide range of materials, including metals, ceramics, and polymers. They are commonly used in materials processing, such as annealing, sintering, and crystallization. They are also used in research and development to study high-temperature reactions and phase transformations.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when using a tube furnace?

When using a tube furnace, it is important to follow all safety protocols and wear appropriate personal protective equipment. The heating chamber can reach extremely high temperatures, so it is important to never touch the furnace while it is in operation. It is also important to properly vent any gases or fumes that may be generated during the heating process. Regular maintenance and inspections should also be performed to ensure safe and efficient operation of the furnace.