Mods that will rack your brain

• Thread starter 1+1=1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary, the conversation discusses proving that a^13 is congruent to a (modulo 2730) and whether one can use Fermat's Little Theorem for this problem. It is suggested to use the theorem for prime numbers 2, 3, 5, 7, and 13. However, it is pointed out that dividing by 0 is not allowed and one should be careful when applying the theorem. Another approach is suggested, where one shows a^7 is congruent to a (modulo 63) if a is divisible by 9. It is then concluded that a shorter approach exists for this problem.
1+1=1
show that a^13 is congruent to a (modulo 2730)

if a is an integer such that a is not divisidble by 3, or such that a IS divisible by 9, then a^7 is congruent to a (mod 63)

with these, could i just divide the mod numbers by the powers? that is what i am doing, but it seems like as though it ISN'T right... anyone help ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you come across Fermat's Little Theorem ?

a^p == a (mod p) for prime p

gokul, could i say that b/c of fermat's thm, i can say that it IS == to a, because of the fact that 13 is prime? would i need to prove any further? also, could that work for the second one? anyone else think so?

What exactly are you asking? According to that theorem

a^13 = a (mod 13), but you need to show a^13 = a (mod 2730), so of course you need to prove more! I've never taken any courses on number theory, but you might know a theorem that takes advantage of the fact that 2730 = 0 (mod 13).

ok so i could set it up, then say, "according to fermat's theorem,... and apply the theorem to this probloem?

Uhh.. are you asking if you're allowed to use Fermat's Little Theorem? I suppose you should ask your teacher/prof/t.a.

I haven't taken any courses either...but this is what I would do. The folks that really know some number theory probably have a far better approach.

2730 = 13*7*5*3*2
So we are done if we can show that a^13 == a (mod n), for n=2,3,5,7, and 13.
Use both forms of the Little Theorem...
a^p == a (mod p), for all prime p and a^(p-1) == 1 (mod p) for prime p, when p does not divide a.

Clearly a^13 == a (mod 13) ---- (1)

Also a^7 == a (mod 7) and
a^6 == 1 (mod 7), so
(a^7)*(a^6) = a^13 == a*1 (mod 7) ---(2)

Again, a^5 == a (mod 5)
and a^4 == 1 (mod 5) => a^8 == 1 (mod 5)
Hence a^13 == a (mod 5) ---(3)

Likewise, show this for n=3 and n=2..and you are done.

This proof lacks some rigor (in that, for each result, the exceptions need to be covered. This is not hard at all), but I'm going to leave that to you to find and fill in.

Last edited:
Gokul43201

I don't know why it's sufficient to show that [itex]a^{13} \equiv a\ (\mbox{mod }n)[/itex] for those n, but unless a = 1 or a = 0, a cannot be congruent to a (mod 2).

1+1=1

For your second question, part of it is easy:

To prove [itex]a^7 \equiv a\ (\mbox{mod }63)[/itex] if a is divisible by 9, we can start by saying:

[tex]a^7 \equiv a\ (\mbox{mod }7)[/tex]

Therefore, for some integer x:

[tex]a^7 = 7x + a[/tex]

Now, since a is a multiple of 9, [itex]a^7[/itex] must also be a multiple of 9, and thus 7x must also be a multiple of 9. So, for some integer y, x = 9y. Now, we have:

[tex]a^7 = 63y + a[/tex]

I think this is sufficient to prove [itex]a^7 \equiv a\ (\mbox{mod }63)[/itex] if a is divisible by 9.

Last edited:
No dividing by 0

Much of the work on the problem is good, but remember that we can not divide by 0. For that reason forget about a^p ==a implies a^(p-1) ==1. That is not true in general. For example in the case of a^13 = =a Mod 7, we have a^13 =a^7 x a^6 ==a x a^6 == a^7 ==a Mod 7, this is true even for a=7. The arithmetic is 7^7 ==7==0 Mod 7, but 7^6 ==0 Mod7 also, not 1.

Last edited:
If a==b (mod n) and a==b (mod m), then a==b (mod mn), if gcd(m,n)=1.

AND

If n divides a, ie. if a==0 (mod n), then clearly a^k == 0 (mod n), which implies that a^k==a (mod n).

I think I've said too much already.

Last edited:
robert Ihnot said:
Much of the work on the problem is good, but remember that we can not divide by 0. For that reason forget about a^p ==a implies a^(p-1) ==1. That is not true in general. For example in the case of a^13 = =a Mod 7, we have a^13 =a^7 x a^6 ==a x a^6 == a^7 ==a Mod 7, this is true even for a=7. The arithmetic is 7^7 ==7==0 Mod 7, but 7^6 ==0 Mod7 also, not 1.

I'm not sure if this is directed at me...

I insist that nothing I have said is wrong, and that I do not carelessly divide congruence relations. Please re-read what I have written.

AKG said:
Gokul43201

I don't know why it's sufficient to show that [itex]a^{13} \equiv a\ (\mbox{mod }n)[/itex] for those n,
Post#10, line 1.

but unless a = 1 or a = 0, a cannot be congruent to a (mod 2).

What ? Any number is always congruent to itself ! Isn't 'congruence' a reflexive relation ? Isn't 0 divisible by all numbers ?

1+1=1

For your second question, part of it is easy:

To prove [itex]a^7 \equiv a\ (\mbox{mod }63)[/itex] if a is divisible by 9, we can start by saying:

[tex]a^7 \equiv a\ (\mbox{mod }7)[/tex]

Therefore, for some integer x:

[tex]a^7 = 7x + a[/tex]

Now, since a is a multiple of 9, [itex]a^7[/itex] must also be a multiple of 9, and thus 7x must also be a multiple of 9. So, for some integer y, x = 9y. Now, we have:

[tex]a^7 = 63y + a[/tex]

I think this is sufficient to prove [itex]a^7 \equiv a\ (\mbox{mod }63)[/itex] if a is divisible by 9.

This looks okay. But there's a shorter way...see post#10.

Last edited:
Much of the work on the problem is good, but remember that we can not divide by 0. For that reason forget about a^p ==a implies a^(p-1) ==1. That is not true in general.

No, it's not true in general, but it IS true when p is prime and p doesn't divide a (i.e a != 0 (mod p)). Besides, Gokul43201 was talking about modulo p, so your counterexample doesn't hold.

Last edited:
first of all, thank you to all who helped with the input! i too figured some of it out on my own, but with this it reinforced what i had! isn't that what learning is about, doing some on your own then seeing what others have? i wish i could meet you all and thank yall in person! :biggrin:

Gokul43201 said:
What ? Any number is always congruent to itself ! Isn't 'congruence' a reflexive relation ? Isn't 0 divisible by all numbers ?
Oh, you're right. I was thinking that a (mod 2) didn't work if a > 2, I thought 17 (mod 4) would be wrong, and 1 (mod 4) would be the right way to do it, but I suppose they're both right, I've just never seen "17 (mod 4)" or "a (mod 2)" [for a > 2] before.

I thought you said, I took it from what you wrote:

Gokul43201 said:

I insist that nothing I have said is wrong, and that I do not carelessly divide congruence relations. Please re-read what I have written.
This what you wrote:
Also a^7 == a (mod 7) and
a^6 == 1 (mod 7), so

the fact of the problem

Gokul43201 said:

You said, Also a^7 == a (mod 7) and
a^6 == 1 (mod 7), so

Here we really want X^13 ==X Mod 2730, so I thought from how I read you that you were not considering X =7,14,21...etc. That is how I thought about it.

What exactly are "Mods that will rack your brain"?

"Mods" stands for modifications, which are changes made to a video game or software by users or developers. "Mods that will rack your brain" refers to modifications that involve complex puzzles or challenges that require critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

How do I install these mods?

The installation process varies depending on the game or software. Some mods may come with specific installation instructions, while others may require you to use a mod manager. It is important to carefully follow the instructions provided by the mod creator to ensure a successful installation.

Are these mods safe to use?

It is always important to be cautious when downloading and using mods, as they can potentially contain viruses or malware. It is recommended to only download mods from trusted sources and to have a reliable antivirus software installed on your device.

Do I need any prior knowledge or skills to play these mods?

While some mods may require knowledge or skills specific to the game or software they are modifying, most mods that will rack your brain can be played by anyone with basic computer skills. However, be prepared for a challenge as these mods are designed to be mentally stimulating and may require patience and perseverance.

Are there any benefits to playing these mods?

Yes, playing mods that will rack your brain can have many benefits. They can improve critical thinking, problem-solving, and decision-making skills. Additionally, they can provide a fun and challenging experience, and may even enhance your overall enjoyment of the game or software.