Inequality on $\ell_p$: Proving or Disproving?

• Thread starter forumfann
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about proving or disproving the inequality ||x||_{p}\leq||x||_{p'} for all x\in\mathbb{R}^{n} if p'>p\geq1. The problem is not from a homework assignment, but rather a curiosity about whether the inequality holds for any p\geq1. The speaker also mentioned a possible approach to the problem using a^2+b^2 \leq (a+b)^2, a,b > 0.
forumfann
Could anyone prove or disprove the following inequality:
[itex]||x||_{p}\leq||x||_{p'}[/itex] for all [itex]x\in\mathbb{R}^{n}[/itex] if [itex]p'>p\geq1[/itex]?

By the way, this is not a homework problem.

Any help on this will be highly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
forumfann said:
Could anyone prove or disprove the following inequality:
[itex]||x||_{p}\leq||x||_{p'}[/itex] for all [itex]x\in\mathbb{R}^{n}[/itex] if [itex]p'>p\geq1[/itex]?

By the way, this is not a homework problem.

Any help on this will be highly appreciated.

Where is the problem from?

This a problem that I was curious about, because we know that [itex]||x||_{m}\leq||x||_{1}[/itex] for any positive integer [itex]m[/itex], and then I wondered if it is true for any [itex]p\geq1[/itex].

But it would be great if one can show the following:
[itex]||x||_{p}\leq||x||_{1}[/itex] for [itex]p\geq1[/itex],
so could anyone help me on this?

Last edited:
[tex]\|x\|^p_p = \sum_i{|x_i|^p} \leq \left( \sum_i{(|x_i|)} \right)^p = \|x\|_1^p[/tex]

Though I am very dizzy right now, it should be OK where I used [itex]a^2+b^2 \leq (a+b)^2, a,b > 0[/itex]

1. What is $\ell_p$ inequality?

$\ell_p$ inequality is a measure of the difference between two functions, often used in functional analysis. It is based on the p-norm, which is a mathematical concept used to measure the magnitude of a vector. In the context of $\ell_p$ inequality, it is used to compare the size of two functions, with smaller values indicating a greater difference between the functions.

2. How is inequality on $\ell_p$ proven or disproven?

To prove or disprove inequality on $\ell_p$, mathematicians use a variety of techniques such as direct proof, contradiction, or counterexample. These methods involve manipulating the given functions and using mathematical principles to either show that the inequality holds true or that it does not hold true for all values of p.

3. What is the significance of inequality on $\ell_p$?

Inequality on $\ell_p$ is important in functional analysis and other areas of mathematics because it allows us to compare the size of functions and make conclusions about their properties. It also has applications in other fields, such as physics and economics, where it can be used to model and analyze various phenomena.

4. What are some common techniques used in proving inequality on $\ell_p$?

Some common techniques used in proving inequality on $\ell_p$ include using the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, the Hölder inequality, and the Minkowski inequality. These techniques involve manipulating the given functions and applying various mathematical principles to establish the desired inequality.

5. Are there any open problems related to inequality on $\ell_p$?

There are several open problems related to inequality on $\ell_p$, including the generalized Hölder inequality and the boundedness of certain operators on $\ell_p$ spaces. These problems are actively being studied by mathematicians and may lead to new discoveries and insights in the field of functional analysis.