Second Order DE - Need Help With Equation

In summary, the person is trying to find the particular solution to a constant coefficient second order DE. They have found their homogenous solution and are attempting to find the particular solution. They are confused because the method is very confusing.
Clef
Hey Guys,

I've been banging my head with this one for a few days now. I've done (a) and (b) but I'm yet to do (c) if someone could complete this for me or help me along the way that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks heaps!

ARnkrl.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know anything about solving constant-coefficient second order DEs?

Suggestion: Solve the homogemous, find a particular solution, then i = i_t + i_p where i_t = Solution to teh homogenous, and i_p = particular solution.

Alternatively, if you knew Laplace Transform, you could try that as well.

Okay
I've found my homogenous solution to be
(e^-3t)(Acos4t + Bsin4t)

I'm now attempting the particular solution by changing the original equation into the complex form:

z'' + 6z' +25z = -292e^(i4t)

And solving that. To be honest I am completely stuck where to go from here and my attempts have been going in a very roundabout way.
:(

read some about the variation of parameters method
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Method_of_variation_of_parameters

basically if {u1,u2} are the basis of the homogenous solution space, you assume the private solution
of the NH equation is:
A(t)*u1(t)+B(t)*u2(t)

playing around with the ODE you get the linear system

u1*(dA/dt)+u2*(dB/dt)=0
(du1/dt)*(dA/dt)+(du2/dt)*(dB/dt)=q(t)

where q(t) is the NH part. you get A' and B' and then by integration you get A(t),B(t).
Notice that A*u1+B*u2 will be the general solution for the ODE because A,B will contain
the free parameters (due to integration).

elibj123 said:
read some about the variation of parameters method
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Method_of_variation_of_parameters

basically if {u1,u2} are the basis of the homogenous solution space, you assume the private solution
of the NH equation is:
A(t)*u1(t)+B(t)*u2(t)

playing around with the ODE you get the linear system

u1*(dA/dt)+u2*(dB/dt)=0
(du1/dt)*(dA/dt)+(du2/dt)*(dB/dt)=q(t)

where q(t) is the NH part. you get A' and B' and then by integration you get A(t),B(t).
Notice that A*u1+B*u2 will be the general solution for the ODE because A,B will contain
the free parameters (due to integration).

I'm really sorry. But I do not completely understand this method. Would it be the same as substituting
y= tAcos4t+tbsin4t into the equation and then equating to get the PS?

or is it sufficient to use
i= Acos4t + Bcos4t

for the solution for the particular solution of the whole DE?

Because I read somewhere that for some reason you have to put

i= t(Acos4t + Bsin4t)

but this is very very confusing :'(

I'm familiar with the substitution method but i don't like it because as you said it has many rules depending on the characteristic polynomial of the equation (i am not sure if this method even works for non-linear ode).

Variation of Parameters method is pretty simple once you have the basis of the solution-space.
The technique is very simple (without going into developing the method):
if you have a basis [tex]u_{j}[/tex] (in this case you found 2 functions)
then you get n linear equations of n variable [tex]k^{'}_{j}[/tex].

each equation is of the form:
[tex]\sum^{n}_{j=1}(\frac{d^{i}u_{j}}{dt^{i}}*k^{'}_{j})=0, \forall i=0,...,n-2[/tex]

and for i=n-1 you get the equation:
[tex]\sum^{n}_{j=1}(\frac{d^{n-1}u_{j}}{dt^{n-1}}*k^{'}_{j})=g(t)[/tex]

these are algebrical euqations. after you solve them you must integrate and then you
get n functions:
[tex]k_{j}(t)=\int(k^{'}_{j})dt+c_{j}[/tex]

and you put them back in the "linear"-combination

[tex]u_{general}(t)=\sum^{n}_{j=1}(k_j(t)*u_{j}(t))[/tex]

okay. I think I've sort of got a handle on this way.
Would it be

=A'cos4t +B'sin4t = 0
-A'4sin4t + B'cos4t = -292sin4t

Then by equating coefficients and integrating
=A' = 73
therefore A = -73t
B' = 0
therefore B= 0

therefore the PS is -73tsin4t?

Last edited:

What is a second order differential equation?

A second order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a function and its first and second derivatives. These equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other sciences to describe how a physical quantity changes over time.

How do I solve a second order differential equation?

The process for solving a second order differential equation depends on the specific equation and initial conditions. However, a common method is to first rewrite the equation in standard form and then use techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or power series to find a particular solution. It may also be necessary to find the general solution and apply initial or boundary conditions to determine the specific solution.

What are the applications of second order differential equations?

Second order differential equations have many applications in physics, engineering, and other sciences. They are used to model a wide range of phenomena such as motion, heat transfer, electrical circuits, and population growth. They also have applications in economics, biology, and other social sciences.

What is the difference between a second order differential equation and a first order differential equation?

The main difference between a second order differential equation and a first order differential equation is the number of derivatives involved. A second order differential equation involves a function and its first and second derivatives, while a first order differential equation only involves the function and its first derivative.

What are the initial conditions for a second order differential equation?

The initial conditions for a second order differential equation depend on the specific problem being modeled. In most cases, the initial conditions include the initial value of the function and its first derivative at a particular point. These initial conditions are necessary for finding a specific solution to the equation.