Meaning for fortran statement

• Fortran
  • Thread starter agalya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fortran
In summary, a Fortran statement is a code written in the Fortran programming language that performs a specific task or executes a particular action. To write a Fortran statement, one must follow the syntax and rules of the language and use appropriate keywords, data types, and formatting. The structure of a Fortran statement typically consists of a keyword, optional arguments or variables, and a semicolon to indicate the end. Multiple statements can be used on a single line, but it is recommended to write each statement on a separate line for better readability and debugging. The "end" statement in Fortran marks the end of a program, subroutine, function, or block of code and helps the compiler identify the end of a particular section of code for smooth
agalya
Hi all,

What is the meaning of the following Fortran statement

IF ( IP - I1 ) 180, 170, 180

kindly help,
thank u,

Technology news on Phys.org
This is an "arithmetic IF" statement.

If IP - I1 < 0, go to statement 180.
If IP - I1 = 0, go to statement 170.
If IP - I1 > 0, go to statement 180.

You must be reading very old code. :smile:

The meaning of this Fortran statement is conditional execution. It is stating that if the variable IP minus the variable I1 is true, then the program will execute statement 180. If it is false, then the program will execute statement 170. In either case, the program will then proceed to execute statement 180. This statement allows for branching in a program based on the value of a condition.

1. What does a Fortran statement do?

A Fortran statement is a piece of code written in the Fortran programming language that performs a specific task or executes a particular action.

2. How do I write a Fortran statement?

To write a Fortran statement, you need to follow the syntax and rules of the Fortran programming language. This includes using appropriate keywords, data types, and correct formatting. You can also refer to the Fortran language documentation for more information.

3. What is the structure of a Fortran statement?

A Fortran statement typically consists of a keyword, followed by a list of optional arguments or variables, and ends with a semicolon (;) to indicate the end of the statement. The structure may vary depending on the specific statement being used.

4. Can I use multiple statements in a single line of code?

Yes, you can use multiple Fortran statements in a single line of code by separating them with a semicolon (;). However, it is generally recommended to write each statement on a separate line for better readability and debugging.

5. What is the purpose of the "end" statement in Fortran?

The "end" statement in Fortran is used to mark the end of a program, subroutine, function, or block of code. It helps the compiler identify the end of a particular section of code and ensures that the program runs smoothly without any errors.