I want to understand how to use the general equation [f(x) - f(x+h)]/h

• Thread starter esanoussi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    General
In summary, In a 12th grade Physics class, we learned about the calculus based equation: [f(x+h) - f(x)]/h. Initially, when h goes to 0, we are supposed to substitute f(x) into the equation, however, I can never manage to completely simplify the problem. The difference between f(x+h)-f(x) is 2xh+h^{2}+\frac{1}{x+h}-(x^{2}+\frac{1}{x}) which can be simplified by dividing by "h". Every problem is different, but by using this method, solving a lot of similar problems becomes easier.
esanoussi
I am in a 12th grade Physics class and in the beginning of the year, we learned the calculus based equation: [f(x+h) - f(x)]/h. I understand that I am trying to simplify/solve for the answer when H goes to 0 (h -> 0), and I understand that I must substitute f(x) into the given fields f(x) and f(x+h). However, I can never manage to completely simplify the problem.

Here is a sample problem we were given in Physics class earlier this year:

f(x) = x2+1/x

Solve for: [f(x+h) - f(x)]/h

Can someone please help me understand how to do these sort of problems? Is there any kind of technique that can help me solve them? I need to know ASAP, as I am struggling in class.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, f(x+h) then replaces "x" in the general formula woth "x+h" at all instances:
[tex]f(x+h)=(x+h)^{2}+\frac{1}{x+h}[/tex]
The difference is then:
[tex]f(x+h)-f(x)=x^{2}+2xh+h^{2}+\frac{1}{x+h}-(x^{2}+\frac{1}{x})=2xh+h^{2}+\frac{x}{x(x+h)}-\frac{(x+h)}{x(x+h}}=h*(2x+h-\frac{1}{x^{2}+xh})[/tex]
Whereby dividing by "h" yields, for every non-zero "h":
[tex]\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}=2x+h-\frac{1}{x^{2}+xh}[/tex]

As h tends to 0, we will get:
[tex]f'(x)=2x-\frac{1}{x^{2}}[/tex]

arildno,

Thank you for helping me solve the problem. While I understand how you arrived at the answer, as you probably know, every physics problem is different. Is there any technique I can use, or any tip you can provide me when solving future problems and more complex problems using the same formula? Any advice you can give would be much appreciated.

1. "every physics problem is different. "
Not so.

For example, now you should know how to calculate the difference expression for ANY function f.

Try a few more here on PF, and we will help you if you get stuck in the middle.

Now is the time to hone your skills on THESE types of problems. :smile:

So every problem isn't different? Oh. We were taught in Physics class that every problem is.

Thanks so much for your help. I will take your advice and check out other problems on the forum. :smile:

It depends on what you mean by "different".

The same general technique can be used to solve a lot of similar problems.

esanoussi said:
So every problem isn't different? Oh. We were taught in Physics class that every problem is.

Thanks so much for your help. I will take your advice and check out other problems on the forum. :smile:
this is a general method in itself, the idea is to algebraically manipulate the equation until you can get something that isn't a division by zero

think of "excluding" the case where h is "literally" zero, since you want to consider the behaviour of the function as h APPROACHES zero. So, if you see something that doesn't work because "it might be zero", then ignore that it might be zero and do it anyway

1. What is the general equation [f(x) - f(x+h)]/h used for?

The general equation [f(x) - f(x+h)]/h is used to calculate the average rate of change of a function over a specific interval.

2. How do I use the general equation [f(x) - f(x+h)]/h?

To use the general equation [f(x) - f(x+h)]/h, you need to plug in the values of x and h into the equation and solve for the average rate of change.

3. What does f(x) and f(x+h) represent in the general equation [f(x) - f(x+h)]/h?

f(x) and f(x+h) represent the values of the function at x and x+h, respectively. These values are used to calculate the change in the function over the interval h.

4. Can the general equation [f(x) - f(x+h)]/h be used for any type of function?

Yes, the general equation [f(x) - f(x+h)]/h can be used for any type of function, including linear, quadratic, and trigonometric functions.

5. How can I interpret the result of the general equation [f(x) - f(x+h)]/h?

The result of the general equation [f(x) - f(x+h)]/h represents the average rate of change of the function over the interval h. This can be interpreted as the slope of the secant line between the points (x, f(x)) and (x+h, f(x+h)) on the graph of the function.