What is the co-domain of a function

• Thread starter dmehling
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
It is simply a set of possible outputs, and may be a subset of the set of real numbers or include other elements represented by random letters. In summary, the codomain of a function is the set of all possible outputs attributed to the values in the domain by the relation of the function.
dmehling
I understand the concepts of domain and range/image, but can somebody explain to me what the co-domain of a function is?

Physics news on Phys.org
the set of all elements attributed to the values x by the relation of a function

domain:{x1, x2,x3,x4,x5,x6.. et c} ------> |R :[ q z d e r t y h v codomain:{f(x1),

f(x2),f(x3),f(x4),f(x5),f(x6).. etc }... ] (can be a subset of the set of real numbers, other elements represented by random letters)

dmehling said:
I understand the concepts of domain and range/image, but can somebody explain to me what the co-domain of a function is?
The codomain is the type of object the function is declared to output.

Unlike the domain and image, this cannot be determined from the set of points of the graph of the function.

What is the co-domain of a function?

The co-domain of a function is the set of all possible output values that the function can produce. It is also known as the range of the function.

How is the co-domain different from the domain of a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values, while the co-domain is the set of all possible output values. The domain and co-domain are related, but they are not necessarily the same.

Why is the co-domain important in understanding a function?

The co-domain is important because it helps us understand the range of values that a function can produce. It also helps us determine if the function is onto (surjective), meaning every element in the co-domain has at least one corresponding input value in the domain.

How do you determine the co-domain of a function?

The co-domain of a function can be determined by looking at the range of values that the function can produce. This can be done by evaluating the function for different input values or by using algebraic methods.

Can a function have a co-domain that is different from its range?

Yes, a function can have a co-domain that is different from its range. This can occur when the function does not produce all possible output values, or when some output values have multiple corresponding input values.