Differential Equation dont understand t>0 how to apply that to equation

In summary: That is why we need to include "t> 0".In summary, the given differential equation y' + (2/t)y = cos(t) / t^2 with initial condition y(pi) = 0 has the solution y = sin(t)/t^2, where t > 0. The integrating factor is t^2 and after solving for y, the constant c is determined to be 0. The restriction of t > 0 is necessary because the differential equation is undefined at t = 0.
darryw

Homework Statement

y' + (2/t)y = cos(t) / t^2 initial cond: y(pi) = 0 ... t>0

Homework Equations

integrating factor is t^2

so.. integ (yt^2)' = integ cos (t)

= yt^2 = -sin (t) + c

y = ( -sin (t) /t^2 ) + c

..this brings up my first question.. when i divided through by t^2 to isolate y, am i correct in saying that I don't need to also divide c by t^2, because a constant divided by a constant is still just another constant.. right?

so .. with that assumption...

0 = ( - sin (pi) / pi^2 )+ c

0 = ( - 0 / pi^2 ) + c
0 = c

this where I am stuck, because i realize IC said that t>0.. but what does it mean to apply that IC to the equation?? Does this lead to an actual value for c somehow? thanks
edit: if it says that t = pi .. that is, y(pi) = 0 .. then why would it also say t>0 ?? pi is clearly bigger than zero, so why the added condition?

The Attempt at a Solution

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
darryw said:

Homework Statement

y' + (2/t)y = cos(t) / t^2 initial cond: y(pi) = 0 ... t>0

Homework Equations

integrating factor is t^2

so.. integ (yt^2)' = integ cos (t)

= yt^2 = -sin (t) + c
Mistake in the line above.
darryw said:
y = ( -sin (t) /t^2 ) + c

..this brings up my first question.. when i divided through by t^2 to isolate y, am i correct in saying that I don't need to also divide c by t^2, because a constant divided by a constant is still just another constant.. right?
No, you are not correct. You need to divide c by t^2 -- t^2 is not a constant.
darryw said:
so .. with that assumption...

0 = ( - sin (pi) / pi^2 )+ c

0 = ( - 0 / pi^2 ) + c
0 = c

this where I am stuck, because i realize IC said that t>0.. but what does it mean to apply that IC to the equation?? Does this lead to an actual value for c somehow? thanks
edit: if it says that t = pi .. that is, y(pi) = 0 .. then why would it also say t>0 ?? pi is clearly bigger than zero, so why the added condition?
Because the diff. equation is undefined for t = 0.

thanks for reply.

yt^2 = sin(t) + c

y = sin(t) / t^2 + c/t^2

IC: y(pi) = 0

0 = 0 / pi^2 + c/pi^2

c = 0(pi^2)

c = 0

i understand why it is undefined at zero but I am not grasping how to apply that info to solve the equation. thanks for any more help

darryw said:
thanks for reply.

yt^2 = sin(t) + c

y = sin(t) / t^2 + c/t^2

IC: y(pi) = 0

0 = 0 / pi^2 + c/pi^2

c = 0(pi^2)

c = 0

i understand why it is undefined at zero but I am not grasping how to apply that info to solve the equation. thanks for any more help
You don't need to apply the information that t > 0. And you almost there with the solution.

You have y = sin(t) / t^2 + c/t^2 and c = 0, so y = ?

if t = 0 then i can cancel last term

y = sin(t) / t^2

that is the solution to the problem?

No, t can't be zero.

You have y(t) = sin(t) / t^2 + C/t^2 and y(pi) = 0, so
0 = y(pi) = sin(pi)/t^2 + C/t^2
==> C/t^2 = 0 ==> C = 0

So y(t) = sin(t) / t^2, and we still have the restriction that t > 0.

darryw said:
if t = 0 then i can cancel last term

y = sin(t) / t^2

that is the solution to the problem?
You mean "if c= 0". And you should include "t> 0" in your solution:

y= sin(t)/t^2, t> 0.

Since the differential equation does not hold at 0, not only can t not be 0 but you cannot continue the solution to negative values of t.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It is used to model relationships between quantities that are continuously changing over time or space.

2. What does "t>0" mean in the context of a differential equation?

In a differential equation, "t>0" means that the equation is only valid for positive values of time. This is because the equation is typically used to model systems that start at t=0 and continue to evolve over time.

3. How do I apply "t>0" to a differential equation?

To apply "t>0" to a differential equation, you simply use it as a condition or restriction in your equation. For example, you may have an initial condition of "y(0) = 2" which means the value of the function at t=0 is 2. You would then solve the equation for t>0 using this initial condition.

4. Can a differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is due to the fact that there are different ways to solve a differential equation and each method may yield a different solution. Additionally, some differential equations have multiple solutions that are equally valid.

5. How are differential equations used in science?

Differential equations are used in many fields of science to model and understand natural processes and systems. They are particularly useful in physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering to describe the behavior of physical systems and predict future outcomes.