Average Energy of Boltzmann Distribution

In summary, we can determine the average energy per degree of freedom for a set of particles obeying Boltzmann statistics and each having energy E=bz^2 by using the standard integrals provided. By using integration by parts and the given equations, we can show that the average energy is equal to 1/2 k_BT. This can be further simplified to the average speed-squared, which is equal to the average energy per degree of freedom.
mamela
The question is:

Write an expression for the average energy of a set of particles obeying Boltz-
mann statistics and each having energy E = bz2, where b is a constant and
z is a variable. Hence, show that the average energy per degree of freedom
for each particle is 1
2kBT; where kB is Boltzmann's constant. You should use
the standard integrals shown at the end of the question.

You are given:

[integral from -infinity to infinity]exp(-ax2)dx = SQRT(PI/a)

and

[integral from -infinity to infinity]x2exp(-ax2)dx = (1/2)SQRT(PI/a3)

I've taken the average energy as [integral from -infinity to infinity]E.Aexp(-E/KBT)dE which gives:

[integral from -infinity to infinity]2b2z3exp(-bz2/KBT)dz by changing variable to z (dE/dz=2bz)

But this is not the standard result so I can't proceed!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try integration by parts:

[tex]\int u\,dv=uv-\int v\,du[/tex]

where [itex]u=E[/itex] and [itex]v=-k_BT\exp\left[-E/k_BT\right] [/itex]

I just tried it and ended up with -2Ab7/2

oops! I mean -2Ab^7/2.b^7/2.KB^-3/2.T^-3/2

I think your problem is two-fold:
  1. You're not using the correct formula for the average value
  2. You're putting in [itex]E=bz^2[/itex] when you don't really need to
Both points are explained a little more below

[tex]\langle E\rangle=\frac{1}{k_BT}\int_0^\infty E\exp\left[-\frac{E}{k_BT}\right]dE[/tex]

then using integration by parts from my previous post:

[tex]\int_0^\infty E\exp\left[-\frac{E}{k_BT}\right]dE=\left.-E\exp\left[-\frac{E}{k_BT}\right]\right|_0^\infty +\int_0^\infty k_BT\exp\left[-\frac{E}{k_BT}\right]dE[/tex]

The first term on the right is zero at the limits, so then

[tex]\langle E\rangle=\frac{1}{k_BT}\int_0^\infty k_BT\exp\left[-\frac{E}{k_BT}\right]dE=k_BT[/tex]

Where does the additional term 1/KBT come from?

That appears to work but I need to show the average energy is (1/2)KBT.

[tex]
\int_{0}^{\infty}{E^{n} \, \Exp\left[-\frac{E}{k \, T}\right] \, dE} = (k \, T)^{n + 1} \, \int_{0}^{\infty}{x^{n} \, e^{-x} \, dx} = \Gamma(n + 1) \, (k \, T)^{n + 1}
[/tex]

[tex]
\Gamma(n + 1) = n!
[/tex]

The [itex]1/k_BT[/itex] comes from the normalization constant A that you have in your first post.

If you are requiring that to be the answer then I suppose that [itex]z[/itex] is a speed? If that's the case, then

[tex]f(E)=A\exp\left[-\frac{E}{k_BT}\right]=\sqrt{\frac{b}{\pi k_BT}}\exp\left[-\frac{bz^2}{k_BT}\right][/tex]

Then the average speed-squared is

[tex]\langle z^2\rangle=\sqrt{\frac{b}{\pi k_BT}}\int_{-\infty}^\infty z^2\exp\left[-\frac{bz^2}{k_BT}\right][/tex]

You can then use your second given equation and you should be able to get the answer:

[tex]\langle z^2\rangle=\frac{k_BT}{2b}\rightarrow\langle E\rangle=b\langle z^2\rangle=\frac{1}{2}k_BT[/tex]

What is the Boltzmann Distribution?

The Boltzmann Distribution is a statistical concept in physics that describes the distribution of particles in a system at thermal equilibrium. It is based on the principle that the most probable distribution of particles is the one with the greatest number of ways of arranging the particles.

What is the average energy of the Boltzmann Distribution?

The average energy of the Boltzmann Distribution is the average amount of energy that each particle in a system at thermal equilibrium possesses. It is calculated by taking into account the number of particles, their energy levels, and the corresponding probabilities of those energy levels.

How is the average energy of the Boltzmann Distribution related to temperature?

The average energy of the Boltzmann Distribution is directly proportional to temperature. As temperature increases, the average energy of the particles in the system also increases. This is because at higher temperatures, particles have more kinetic energy and are more likely to occupy higher energy levels.

What factors affect the average energy of the Boltzmann Distribution?

The average energy of the Boltzmann Distribution is affected by several factors, including temperature, number of particles, and energy levels available to the particles. It is also influenced by the type of particles in the system and any external forces or interactions present.

Why is the Boltzmann Distribution important in understanding thermodynamics?

The Boltzmann Distribution is important in understanding thermodynamics because it provides a way to calculate the average properties of a system at thermal equilibrium. This allows us to make predictions about how a system will behave and how different factors, such as temperature, will affect the system. It also helps to explain fundamental concepts in thermodynamics, such as entropy and the laws of thermodynamics.