Does your iPad gets heavier over time?

• Thread starter scalpmaster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ipad Time
In summary, there has been speculation that iPads may get heavier over time due to the accumulation of dead skin cells and the emission of smugness. However, this is likely a joke and not based on any scientific evidence. The idea that an object can become heavier without adding any additional mass goes against the principle of mass-energy equivalence (E=mc^2). Overall, there is no scientific reason for an iPad to gain weight over time.
scalpmaster
Do you feel that your iPad is getting heavier from the time you first got it? Is there a scientific reason for that?

http://newslite.tv/2009/04/01/ipods-get-heavier-with-more-mu.html

If iPod which is much smaller than ipad can get heavier, the effects could be exponential for ipad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
scalpmaster said:
Do you feel that your iPad is getting heavier from the time you first got it? Is there a scientific reason for that?

http://newslite.tv/2009/04/01/ipods-get-heavier-with-more-mu.html

If iPod which is much smaller than ipad can get heavier, the effects could be exponential for ipad.

You mean proportionally higher. "Exponential" is not even correct here. It makes no sense to say that an effect is "exponential". Indeed, I would expect any proportionality constant as such to be linear.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd advise you to read the note at the bottom of the passage...

theJorge551 said:
I'd advise you to read the note at the bottom of the passage...

Saving new readers the trouble:

"UPDATE - YES THIS WAS OUR APRIL FOOL"

:rolleyes:

I suspect it would get slightly heavier, from dead skin cells infiltrating the cracks and crevices. Same reason your mattress gets heavier from the time you buy it to the time you get rid of it, just on a much smaller scale.

And technically it should be heavier at full battery than at low.

Blenton said:
And technically it should be heavier at full battery than at low.

Why?

Jack21222 said:
I suspect it would get slightly heavier, from dead skin cells infiltrating the cracks and crevices.
But it does emit large amounts of smug, and although smugness is somewhat insubstantial according to recent experiments it does have finite mass

russ_watters said:
Why?

m= E/c^2

scalpmaster said:

Depends upon how much you like it. Take my word for it; anything that you're married to will get heavier over time.

1. Does the weight of an iPad increase over time?

No, the weight of an iPad does not increase over time. The weight of an iPad is determined by its physical components and does not change unless something is added or removed.

2. Why does my iPad feel heavier than when I first got it?

There are a few reasons why your iPad may feel heavier than when you first got it. One possibility is that you have added a case or other accessories, which can increase the overall weight. Another reason could be that the battery has degraded over time, making it feel slightly heavier.

3. Can the weight of an iPad affect its performance?

No, the weight of an iPad does not directly affect its performance. However, if the weight causes the device to become physically damaged or unbalanced, it could potentially impact its performance.

4. Will the weight of my iPad decrease if I delete files or apps?

No, deleting files or apps from your iPad will not decrease its weight. The weight of an iPad is determined by its physical components and will not change unless something is added or removed.

5. How often should I check the weight of my iPad?

There is no need to regularly check the weight of your iPad. As long as you are not adding or removing components, the weight should remain the same. However, if you notice a significant change in weight, it may be worth checking for any potential issues or damage.