Calculating Penguin Mass m2 with Forces and Frictionless Ice - Homework Help"

• Thread starter dorkymichelle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving four penguins being pulled on frictionless ice by a curator. The masses of three penguins and the tension in two of the cords are given, and the task is to find the mass of the fourth penguin. The attempt at a solution involved setting up a system of equations and using the formula F=ma, but the incorrect equation -t4-t3=m4a was used, resulting in an incorrect answer. The correct equation is t4-t3=m4a, where the direction of the acceleration is in the direction of t4 and opposite t3.
dorkymichelle

Homework Statement

The figure here shows four penguins that are being playfully pulled along very slippery (frictionless) ice by a curator. The masses of three penguins and the tension in two of the cords are m1 = 11 kg, m3 = 16 kg, m4 = 24 kg, T2 = 108 N, and T4 = 216 N. Find the penguin mass m2 that is not given.

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs4957/art/qb/qu/c05/fig_5_D.gif

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

total force =
t1+t2+t3+t4=(m1+m2+m3+m4)a
F=ma,
using penguin 4,
216N=24kg*a
a=9
t1+t2+t3+t4 =m1a+m2a+m3a+m4a
t1=(11)(9)=99
t3=(16)(9)=144
using
99+108+144+216=99+m2(9)+144+216
108=m2(9)
m2 = 12
I realize I just did this the long way, instead of just doing F2=m2a but this is the wrong answer... how do I go about doing this

Physics news on Phys.org
dorkymichelle said:
total force =

This is wrong. Because:
On m1 force is t1
hence t1 = m1a
on m2
t2-t1=m2a
on m3
t3-t2=m3a
on m4
t4-t3 = m4a
On adding we get
t4 = (m1 + m2 + m3 + m4)a

So for each penguin after the first penguin, the force needed to pull those penguin includes the ones before it?

Yeah

ok using systems of equations
t2-t1=m2a
+ t1 = m1a
I got t2=a(m2a+m1a)
then I used
t3-t2=m3a
-t4-t3=m4a
= -t2-t4 = m3a-m4a
plugging numbers in, i got
-108-216=a(16-24+
-324=a(-8)
a= 40.5 m/s^2
then using the first equation i got
t2=a(m2+m1)
i got
108=(40.5)(m2)+445.5
and m=8.33 kg
but that's wrong too..

why have you done "-t4-t3=m4a" instead of "t4-t3=m4a"? Of course your answer will be wrong.

I did
t3-t2=m3a
- t4-t3=m4a
as a system of equations
so t3-(-t3)=0
and then -t2-t4 = m3a-m4a

dorkymichelle said:
I did
t3-t2=m3a
- t4-t3=m4a
as a system of equations
so t3-(-t3)=0
and then -t2-t4 = m3a-m4a

Here's your problem:

T3 - (-T3) ≠ 0
T3 - (-T3) = T3 + T3

Try adding the above equations instead of subtracting.

BTW, you actually don't need to find a numerical value for the acceleration. You can rearrange the second derived equation (the one you get by adding the above equations) to get an expression for 'a', then substitute that into your first derived equation, T2 = a * (m1 + m2), and solve for m2.

dorkymichelle said:
I did
t3-t2=m3a
- t4-t3=m4a

Why have you done -t4 - t3=m4a. The direction of a is in the direction of t4 and opposite t3.
hence t4-t3 = m4a

1. How do you calculate the mass of a penguin on frictionless ice using forces?

The formula for calculating mass on frictionless ice is mass = force / acceleration. In the case of a penguin on frictionless ice, the force would be the weight of the penguin and the acceleration would be zero. Therefore, the mass of the penguin would be equal to its weight.

2. What units should be used when calculating penguin mass on frictionless ice?

The units used in the formula for calculating mass on frictionless ice are the same as those used in the formula for calculating weight, which is Newtons (N). However, the mass of the penguin will be expressed in kilograms (kg) as it is a measure of an object's inertia.

3. How does friction affect the calculation of penguin mass on frictionless ice?

Friction does not affect the calculation of penguin mass on frictionless ice, as the concept of friction does not apply in this scenario. Friction is the force that opposes motion when two surfaces are in contact, but on a frictionless surface, there is no resistance to motion.

4. Can the calculation of penguin mass on frictionless ice be applied in real-life situations?

The calculation of penguin mass on frictionless ice is a theoretical concept and may not accurately reflect real-life situations. In reality, there will always be some level of friction present, and other factors such as air resistance may also affect the mass of a penguin.

5. How can the calculation of penguin mass on frictionless ice be used in scientific research?

The concept of calculating mass on frictionless ice can be used in scientific research as a theoretical model to understand the relationship between forces, acceleration, and mass. It can also be used to make approximations and predictions in certain scenarios where friction is negligible, such as in space or in highly controlled laboratory experiments.