Shift left and right registers

• Thread starter Jag1972
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shift
In summary, the conversation discusses the construction and function of counters using flip flops and the ability to shift data left and right. The question is raised about how binary weightings are assigned for each flip flop and whether this is done by a microcontroller or if it is up to the designer. It is clarified that the designer determines the binary weightings based on how the circuit is interpreted.
Jag1972
I have got what may be a silly question. I hope not.
Using flip flops e.g. JK flip flops, counters can be constructed (modulus up and down counters). However when constructing shift registers data can be shifted left and right. When shifted right each the shift register could divide the initial values by 2 with every active clock pulse. When shifted left each the shift register could multiply the initial values by 2 with every active clock pulse. My question is where the binary weightings are assigned for each flip flop. Is this something done by a microcontroller for example registers in a PIC? ADCON0 and ADCON1 on PIC18F4520. I don’t know where or how these weightings are assigned. Thank you in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What do you mean binary weighting?

The weighting is assigned by how you interpret the circuit.

You could hook up the ABCD lines of the binary input fom right to left, left to right, or even randomly if you wanted to have weird weightings.

Feldoh: Sorry for not being clear, I meant if the initial count was 8 set by four flip flops with the FF at the right being set to 1 and the other 3 at 0. Then if it is a shift right after 1 clock pulse the count would be 4. I wasnt sure how the binary weightings were assigned. However Jiggy has confirmed what I thought we as designers make it so. Thanks very much for reply.

Jiggy-Ninja: Thanks for confirming that, I thought that was the case.

1. What is a shift register?

A shift register is a type of sequential logic circuit that can store and move data in a linear fashion. It consists of a series of flip-flops connected together, allowing data to be shifted from one stage to the next.

2. What is the purpose of a shift register?

The purpose of a shift register is to store and manipulate data in a sequential manner. It can be used for tasks such as data storage, data conversion, and signal processing.

3. What is a shift left register?

A shift left register is a type of shift register where data is shifted from right to left, with the leftmost bit being discarded and a new bit being inserted at the rightmost end. This effectively multiplies the data by 2.

4. What is a shift right register?

A shift right register is a type of shift register where data is shifted from left to right, with the rightmost bit being discarded and a new bit being inserted at the leftmost end. This effectively divides the data by 2.

5. What are some applications of shift registers?

Shift registers have a wide range of applications in various fields such as digital signal processing, data storage, and communication systems. They are commonly used in devices such as counters, shifters, and serial-to-parallel converters.