Troubleshooting Java Arguments: How to Fix Common Errors

• Java
  • Thread starter UltimateSomni
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Java
In summary: Just tons of nothing.In summary, the conversation revolves around the issue of a Java program not working properly with command line arguments in the NetBeans IDE. The writer suggests running the program from the command line instead and provides instructions on how to do so. They also suggest that the issue may be with NetBeans not passing the arguments correctly. The conversation ends with the writer recommending the use of a different IDE.
Technology news on Phys.org
I'd say your IDE is screwing with your mind... It looks like you have enter arguments correctly, are you sure you are running that configuration?

Can you try running the class file from a command line?

java BlankFiller arg0 arg1 arg2

schip666! said:
I'd say your IDE is screwing with your mind... It looks like you have enter arguments correctly, are you sure you are running that configuration?

Can you try running the class file from a command line?

java BlankFiller arg0 arg1 arg2

http://i52.tinypic.com/20rttec.jpg

UltimateSomni said:
You have to run that from the directory where the compiled BlankFiller.class file is located. If it didn't compile, there will only be a BlankFiller.java file.

Borg said:
You have to run that from the directory where the compiled BlankFiller.class file is located. If it didn't compile, there will only be a BlankFiller.java file.

What?

Does anyone know why this isn't working? Did I input the arguments wrong?

UltimateSomni said:
What?

Does anyone know why this isn't working? Did I input the arguments wrong?
When you compile a java file, a .class file is created. That is what actually gets used when you run a java program. NetBeans probably created it but you have to be in that directory to run schip666!'s command line test. You ran your test from c:/users/fred. If BlankFiller.class isn't there, the test will fail with the reason shown on your link.

Time to learn about CLASSPATH...

Look for BlankFiller.class.
In your command window, cd to that directory.
Then try: java -classpath . BlankFiller 1 2 3

I found BlankFiller.class
what does "cd to that directory" mean?

type: cd that-directory

god I love the GUI universe.

most likely there's something else wrong, but it is handy to know your way around a command line interface if you plan to program for anything but the web.

ugh I have to leave but still no idea what you're trying to say

UltimateSomni said:
ugh I have to leave but still no idea what you're trying to say
cd is the dos command for "change directory". Let's say that your file is in a directory C:\Users\Fred\NetBeans directory (substitute what you found). Before you run the java command that failed, type this:

cd C:\Users\Fred\NetBeans

Note that dos is a really old languange and doesn't know about spaces. So if your directory had spaces anywhere, you have to put quotes around it like this:

cd "C:\Users\Fred\NetBeans"

Once you change to the correct directory, you can run your java test on the class file.

UltimateSomni said:
http://i51.tinypic.com/316qgyc.jpg
Well, maybe that's some progress.
My office blocks lots of web sites and the tinypic site that you're using is one of them. I can't help until late this afternoon unless you explain what happened.

Command promt says the "1 2 dog jumped over the 3 fox"
And "the arg1 arg2 dog jumped over the 3 dog"

UltimateSomni said:
Could you also paste the content of your main method in code tags?
Also, what did you type into the command prompt?

Can you see Google Docs? http://tinyurl.com/OrangeYellowArguments

And I did this exactly how the book told me to type it in:

class BlankFiller {
public static void main(String[] args) {
System.out.println("The " +args[0]
+ " " + args[1] + " fox "
+ "jumped over the "
+ args[2] + " dog."
);
}
}

Last edited by a moderator:
UltimateSomni said:

That appears to be what you should expect to get. The argN's are put into the places that had arg[n] in the your original program code (IIRC...). Thus your netBums IDE is screwing with you somehow.

So... first, you may not be using the IDE correctly, but from casual examination of the screen shots you posted it appears that you are doing things right; so... second, NET Beans is a networked java environment where programs are unlikely to have access to command line arguments anyway, thus they may have never implemented it right to start with.

schip666! said:
That appears to be what you should expect to get. The argN's are put into the places that had arg[n] in the your original program code (IIRC...). Thus your netBums IDE is screwing with you somehow.

So... first, you may not be using the IDE correctly, but from casual examination of the screen shots you posted it appears that you are doing things right; so... second, NET Beans is a networked java environment where programs are unlikely to have access to command line arguments anyway, thus they may have never implemented it right to start with.

So my best bet is that this isn't my fault and I should wait for an update that fixes this issue?

The author is using Netbeans 6.5, I am using 7 anyway.

Try typing this in your command line:

java BlankFiller quick brown lazy

What comes back?

Borg said:
Try typing this in your command line:

java BlankFiller quick brown lazy

What comes back?
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1ffRd24ddIKQtGcr6DcxKFRdcS98Z_NilFnSaeSC4pE0/edit?hl=en_US

That one I get what I should get, but I can't get the arguments I type into work

Then it seems that the NetBeans IDE is not passing the command-line arguments to your program correctly, but if you run you program from the command-line, things are as they should be.

So you recommend using an different IDE?

God damn you have tons of posts

UltimateSomni said:
Not if that's the only problem.

Is there a readme file for this IDE? That's where they usually list bugs that are known issues.

UltimateSomni said:
The IDE probably isn't set up right. From the other screenshots that you posted, it is working properly in dos.

Unfortunately, I haven't used NetBeans to figure out why it doesn't recognize the variables. From what I read on the NetBeans site for http://netbeans.org/kb/docs/java/project-setup.html#deploy-jvm" and verify that you've done everything the way that they've instructed?

Am I suppose to type something into the VM Options box?

So I'm suppose to type in the fully-qualified name in the Main Class field (for example, org.myCompany.myLib.MyLibClass). How do I find that?

Last edited:
How would I find a readme file?

UltimateSomni said:
How would I find a readme file?
Readme files are usually located in the top level directory where the program was installed. If you're using XP, it's probably somewhere in the Program Files directory.

UltimateSomni said:
Am I suppose to type something into the VM Options box?

So I'm suppose to type in the fully-qualified name in the Main Class field (for example, org.myCompany.myLib.MyLibClass). How do I find that?
I'm sorry but, I really am not familiar with how to set up NetBeans. Unless someone else here knows, your best bet might be to ask configuration questions on the http://forums.netbeans.org/netbeans-users.html".

So I asked on Netbeans, but the message board looks slow

Is there another free IDE you guys recommend?

UltimateSomni said:
So I asked on Netbeans, but the message board looks slow

Is there another free IDE you guys recommend?
I use IntelliJ and know that one very well. The current pay version is 10.5 but, I think that version 8 is free.

I wouldn't assume it's Netbeans and not something you did (or didn't do). I would be pretty surprised if they've managed to break such simple and basic functionality. You can try Eclipse if you like. I tend to use it for Java and Python. But Netbeans is quite good.

While I'm thinking of it, why don't you just copy/paste messages and such into the forums rather than making us look at screenshots and such? Because I'll tell you that I didn't look at them. If you want me to look at them, paste them into the forum. Taking screenshots of text is, in most cases, really pointless.

Anyways, I took some time out to make a quick test project in my Netbeans 6.9.1 (good to know there's a 7 out, I'll try that out later). I wrote out all my steps one-by-one. It works fine for me. Here's the steps:

1. Start Netbeans

2. In the menu bar, select File->New Project.
Make sure these are selected in the dialog box:
Categories: Java
Projects: Java Application
Hit Next
Fill in the Project Name field with: ArgTest
Take note of where it is putting your project in the Project Location and
Project Folder fields.
Hit Finish

3. Edit the Main.java file and add this to the main function's body (you can remove the comment in there, of course):
Code:
        for (String arg : args) {
            System.out.println(arg);
        }

4. Click "Build Main Project" icon in toolbar (a hammer). Wait for it to finish.

5. In Run menu, select "Set Project Configuration->Customize...".
In the Categories sidebar, "Run" should be selected. In the "Arguments"
text edit, enter test arguments such as (without the quotes):

"arg1 arg2 arg3 arg4"

Click Ok.

6. Click the "Run Main Project" icon in the toolbar (green arrow facing
right). In the output pane, you should see the arguments you passed in.
I see this:
Code:
run:
arg1
arg2
arg3
arg4
BUILD SUCCESSFUL (total time: 1 second)

If you get a different result here, I'm rather surprised.

I'll probably install the latest version of NetBeans soon, so I'll check it out again in version 7 later.

EDIT: I installed NetBeans 7 (in Linux) and ran the project I created, and the arguments came through perfectly. I can try remaking the project from scratch in 7.0 if you like. But argument passing is not broken in NetBeans 7.0, at least in general. Could be it's a Windows only bug, but I really, seriously doubt it.

Last edited:
I've got one possibility why it might not see your arguments.

In the project directory, there's a subdirectory called nbproject. It has a subdirectory called private. In that directory, there's the file that should contain your arguments called private.properties.

My private.properties contains this line right at the start:

application.args=arg1 arg2 arg3 arg4

Make sure you have something like that in yours.

If it's not picking it up, it may have been overridden by something in your build.xml file (which is right in the root of your project's directory). Make sure you don't have a line like this:

<target name="-init-private" depends="-pre-init">

From what Some Guy On The Internet(tm) says, that causes the one in private.properties to be ignored. I don't have anything but the opening XML tag, a project element that wraps everything, and a description and an import tag inside.

Not 100% sure how to fix it (if that's it), but he says you need to put a line in your project.properties file (which is in the nbproject subdirectory).

I would try two things (keeping a backup of any file modified so you can put it back in place if anything breaks)). First, removing that offending line from the build.xml, if present. I would try that first. Not sure how it gets in there, or why, but perhaps removing it will fix it.

Otherwise, perhaps adding the args parameter that's in private.properties to project.properties will fix it.

So, in my case (with the example in the previous post), I would try adding this line from private.properties to project.properties:

application.args=arg1 arg2 arg3 arg4

Let me know if any of that works. Also, I'll repeat because it's important. Make backups of any file you edit so you can copy it back in place if it messes things up. This is just info from some random person on the 'net that I found. I haven't tried it out (for one, I don't have the problem you're having).

Yes, so I click Run Main Project instead of Run File. It all works now.

Grep said:
I wouldn't assume it's Netbeans and not something you did (or didn't do). I would be pretty surprised if they've managed to break such simple and basic functionality. You can try Eclipse if you like. I tend to use it for Java and Python. But Netbeans is quite good.

While I'm thinking of it, why don't you just copy/paste messages and such into the forums rather than making us look at screenshots and such? Because I'll tell you that I didn't look at them. If you want me to look at them, paste them into the forum. Taking screenshots of text is, in most cases, really pointless.

Anyways, I took some time out to make a quick test project in my Netbeans 6.9.1 (good to know there's a 7 out, I'll try that out later). I wrote out all my steps one-by-one. It works fine for me. Here's the steps:

1. Start Netbeans

2. In the menu bar, select File->New Project.
Make sure these are selected in the dialog box:
Categories: Java
Projects: Java Application
Hit Next
Fill in the Project Name field with: ArgTest
Take note of where it is putting your project in the Project Location and
Project Folder fields.
Hit Finish

3. Edit the Main.java file and add this to the main function's body (you can remove the comment in there, of course):
Code:
        for (String arg : args) {
            System.out.println(arg);
        }

4. Click "Build Main Project" icon in toolbar (a hammer). Wait for it to finish.

5. In Run menu, select "Set Project Configuration->Customize...".
In the Categories sidebar, "Run" should be selected. In the "Arguments"
text edit, enter test arguments such as (without the quotes):

"arg1 arg2 arg3 arg4"

Click Ok.

6. Click the "Run Main Project" icon in the toolbar (green arrow facing
right). In the output pane, you should see the arguments you passed in.
I see this:
Code:
run:
arg1
arg2
arg3
arg4
BUILD SUCCESSFUL (total time: 1 second)

If you get a different result here, I'm rather surprised.

I'll probably install the latest version of NetBeans soon, so I'll check it out again in version 7 later.

EDIT: I installed NetBeans 7 (in Linux) and ran the project I created, and the arguments came through perfectly. I can try remaking the project from scratch in 7.0 if you like. But argument passing is not broken in NetBeans 7.0, at least in general. Could be it's a Windows only bug, but I really, seriously doubt it.

Very nice!

UltimateSomni said:
Yes, so I click Run Main Project instead of Run File. It all works now.

Excellent! Now it makes sense why it wasn't working.

Mark44 said:
Very nice!

Thanks, Mark!

<h2>1. What are Java arguments and why are they important?</h2><p>Java arguments are command line options that are used to customize the behavior of a Java program. They allow you to specify things like memory allocation, system properties, and other runtime parameters. Java arguments are important because they can help you optimize your program's performance and troubleshoot common errors.</p><h2>2. How do I troubleshoot common errors with Java arguments?</h2><p>To troubleshoot common errors with Java arguments, you can start by checking the syntax of your arguments. Make sure they are formatted correctly and that there are no typos. You can also try removing or changing certain arguments to see if that resolves the issue. Additionally, checking the documentation for the specific Java version you are using can provide helpful information on troubleshooting common errors.</p><h2>3. What are some common errors that can occur with Java arguments?</h2><p>Some common errors that can occur with Java arguments include invalid or missing arguments, incorrect syntax, and conflicts between different arguments. These errors can lead to issues such as program crashes, unexpected behavior, or failure to run altogether.</p><h2>4. How can I fix an "out of memory" error with Java arguments?</h2><p>If you are experiencing an "out of memory" error with Java arguments, you can try increasing the memory allocation by using the -Xmx argument. This specifies the maximum amount of memory that can be used by the Java process. You can also check for any memory leaks in your code that may be causing the error.</p><h2>5. Can I use multiple Java arguments at once?</h2><p>Yes, you can use multiple Java arguments at once by separating them with a space. However, it's important to note that some arguments may conflict with each other, so it's best to check the documentation or test them out to ensure they work together without causing errors.</p>

1. What are Java arguments and why are they important?

Java arguments are command line options that are used to customize the behavior of a Java program. They allow you to specify things like memory allocation, system properties, and other runtime parameters. Java arguments are important because they can help you optimize your program's performance and troubleshoot common errors.

2. How do I troubleshoot common errors with Java arguments?

To troubleshoot common errors with Java arguments, you can start by checking the syntax of your arguments. Make sure they are formatted correctly and that there are no typos. You can also try removing or changing certain arguments to see if that resolves the issue. Additionally, checking the documentation for the specific Java version you are using can provide helpful information on troubleshooting common errors.

3. What are some common errors that can occur with Java arguments?

Some common errors that can occur with Java arguments include invalid or missing arguments, incorrect syntax, and conflicts between different arguments. These errors can lead to issues such as program crashes, unexpected behavior, or failure to run altogether.

4. How can I fix an "out of memory" error with Java arguments?

If you are experiencing an "out of memory" error with Java arguments, you can try increasing the memory allocation by using the -Xmx argument. This specifies the maximum amount of memory that can be used by the Java process. You can also check for any memory leaks in your code that may be causing the error.

5. Can I use multiple Java arguments at once?

Yes, you can use multiple Java arguments at once by separating them with a space. However, it's important to note that some arguments may conflict with each other, so it's best to check the documentation or test them out to ensure they work together without causing errors.