Solving set of linear equations

In summary, the given system of linear equations can be represented as an augmented matrix and solved using row reduction. The solution to the system is x= 21/62, y=23/62, z= 18/62.
slum718

Homework Statement

x=.5x + .3y +.2z
y= .4x + .4y + .3z
z= .1x + .3y + .5z

x+y+z=1

Homework Equations

when solved, x= 21/62, y=23/62, z= 18/62

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried doing row reduction but I keep failing ex:
.5 .3 .2
.4 .4 .3
.1 .3 .5
=
0 -1.2 -2.3
.4 .4 .3
.1 .3 .5 I tried many combos of this and I get lost and have no idea how to really go about it

Physics news on Phys.org
One may represent a system of linear equations as an http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augmented_matrix#Solution_of_a_linear_system".

You failed to correctly represent the system of equations as a matrix. Notice how for the first equation has x on both sides. In the matrix representing the system, there should be one column for coefficient of x. The x on the left side of the first equation should not be ignored. So, first get the equations in the correct form.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are linear equations?

Linear equations are mathematical expressions that involve two or more variables and their coefficients, which are multiplied together and summed up with a constant. These equations can be represented in the form of y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

2. How do I solve a set of linear equations?

To solve a set of linear equations, you can use various methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations and variables to isolate the unknown values and find their numerical solutions.

3. Can a set of linear equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a set of linear equations can have one, infinite, or no solutions. The number of solutions depends on the relationship between the equations and the variables. For example, if the equations are parallel, they have no solutions, while if they are identical, they have infinite solutions.

4. Why is solving linear equations important?

Solving linear equations is essential in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and computer science. It allows us to model and analyze real-life situations, make predictions, and find optimal solutions to problems.

5. What are some applications of solving linear equations?

Some applications of solving linear equations include finding the break-even point in business, optimizing production processes, calculating trajectories in physics, and creating mathematical models for data analysis.