Output Impedance Explained: Simple Answers to Confusing Questions

In summary: In general, the input impedance of a transistor is close to the collector resistor R_c\;. The output impedance of a transistor is much higher than R_c\;.
ananthu
The concept of output impedance is highly confusing to me.
I will be thankful if some body gives simple explanations to the following.

1. I undertand that in the case of current amplifiers, the out put impedance should be low and the input one should be high. In the case of voltage amplifiers the opposite is true. If you take slope in the saturation region of the output characteristics of a transistor, the impedance will be very low and if you take it on the active region it will be enormously high. If you take it at a point close the knee point it will be intermediate. So it goes on varying. Then how can we judge the right value of output imp. and where it should be measured ?

2.This problem comes while we teach the higher secondary students in the practical class when they draw the graph for the same.

3. The textbooks demand that their output imp. should be lower than the input one. (in the case of NPN transistor in CE mode.

4. In this case I feel another contradiction. Because the theory part says that a transistor is operated in active region as only in that regions the collector current is independent of the coll-emit. voltage. But if you take impedance in that region the output imp. will be higher than the input one.

If I get a detailed explanation it will be useful to me.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think it will be much more beneficial if you spend the time to understand how the output and input impedance behave. I don't think you can just have a universal statement.

For transistor, the input impedance [itex]Z_{in}=\beta \; (r'_e+R_E)\;\hbox { where }\;r'_e=\frac {I_c}{V_t}\;\hbox { and } \;V_t=25mV \;\hbox { at 25 deg C.}[/itex]

I don't have the equation for output impedance, someone can give you this or I'll find that tomorrow if I have time. It is not important to answer your question. You just regard it to be very high.

I take that your "current amplifier" means common collector or emitter follower. You always have an emitter resistor [itex]R_E\;[/itex], so you can calculate the input impedance from the equation above. The output impedance is [itex] r'_e\;[/itex].

I take that your "voltage amplifier" means common emitter stage with a resistor [itex]R_c\;[/itex] from collector to the power supply. You calculate the input impedance using the equation given. Usually the collector resistor [itex]R_c\;[/itex] is much lower than the output impedance of the transistor, so the output impedance is very very close to just simple [itex]R_c\;[/itex].

You can make your generalization from this.

1. What is output impedance?

Output impedance refers to the electrical resistance of a device or circuit that delivers power to another device or circuit. It is a measure of how well the output can deliver power to the load without being affected by changes in the load's impedance.

2. How is output impedance measured?

Output impedance is typically measured by applying a known voltage to the output and measuring the resulting current. The output impedance can then be calculated using Ohm's law (Z = V/I).

3. Why is output impedance important?

Output impedance is important because it affects the performance of electronic devices and circuits. A high output impedance can lead to signal distortion, while a low output impedance allows for efficient power transfer and prevents voltage drops.

4. How does output impedance affect audio equipment?

In audio equipment, output impedance influences the frequency response and damping factor. A high output impedance can cause frequency response variations and decrease the ability of the amplifier to control the movement of the speaker, resulting in poor sound quality.

5. How can output impedance be reduced?

Output impedance can be reduced by using a buffer or impedance matching circuit, which acts as an intermediary between the output and the load, providing a low impedance path for the current to flow. Additionally, using shorter and thicker wires can also help reduce output impedance.