Calculating Speed Along Sides of Right Angle at Intersection with Ruler

In summary, the problem states that a right angle is drawn on a sheet of paper and a ruler, always perpendicular to the bisectrix (or bisector), moves over the paper at a speed of 10cm/sec. The ends of the ruler intersect the sides of the angle. The question asks for the speeds along the sides of the angle at the points of intersection with the ruler. The conversation also clarifies that bisector and bisectrix are interchangeable terms and that bisectrix is the feminine version.
teddyayalew

Homework Statement

A right-angle is drawn on a sheet of paper. A ruler , which always remains perpendicular to the bisectrix of this angle moves over the paper with a speed 10cm/sec. The ends of the ruler intersect the sides of the angle. What are the speeds along the sides of the angle of their points of intersection with the ruler?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not asking anyone to give me a solutions I am just having difficulty picturing the physical scenario described in the question
1) Am I right to assume it means a right angle with legs parallel to the sides of the paper?
2) I don't understand what bisectrix means if not bisector and if so then how is the ruler perpendicular to the bisectrix and what is the bisectrix?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi teddyayalew! :smile:

bisector and bisectrix are the same, bisectrix is the female version, and apparently lines are feminine!

1. How do you calculate the speed along the sides of a right angle at an intersection with a ruler?

To calculate the speed along the sides of a right angle at an intersection with a ruler, you will need to measure the length of each side using the ruler and then use the formula for calculating speed, which is distance divided by time. Make sure to convert your measurements to the appropriate units before plugging them into the formula.

2. What is the purpose of using a ruler when calculating speed at an intersection?

A ruler is used to accurately measure the length of each side of the right angle at the intersection. This is necessary for accurately calculating the speed using the distance and time formula. Using a ruler helps to eliminate any potential errors in measurement and ensures a more precise calculation.

3. Can you calculate speed at an intersection without a ruler?

Technically, it is possible to calculate speed at an intersection without a ruler, but it may not be as accurate. Without a ruler, you may have to estimate the length of each side, which can introduce errors into the calculation. It is recommended to use a ruler for more precise results.

4. Are there any other methods for calculating speed at an intersection?

Yes, there are other methods for calculating speed at an intersection, such as using a stopwatch to measure the time it takes for an object to travel between two points on each side of the right angle. However, using a ruler is a simpler and more common method for calculating speed at an intersection.

5. How can I ensure accuracy when calculating speed at an intersection with a ruler?

To ensure accuracy when calculating speed at an intersection with a ruler, it is important to make sure the ruler is aligned properly and that the measurements are taken as precisely as possible. It may also be helpful to take multiple measurements and calculate the average for a more accurate result.