Light from air to acrylic and acrylic to air

• Thread starter spitzer89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Light
In summary: Additionally, the refractive index of acrylic may vary slightly depending on the wavelength of light used, so make sure to use the same wavelength for both exercises to get consistent results.
spitzer89
1. question
its a exercise where we have a acrylic block and we are going to send light though and wath how the refraction change the light direction. then we measure the ingoing and outgoing angels.

air to acrylic(sin(i) is outside the block and sin(b) is on the other side of the block)
acrylic to air(sin(i) is now inside the block and sin(b) is on the outside of the block still)

so we shoot light though the block two times and measures the angeles according to from air to acrylic and acrylic to air.

the angels are the put into excel with sin(i) on the y-axis and sin(b) on the x, then there's added a trendline and then you read the refractive value from the equtation of the trendline.

The Attempt at a Solution

well i made the ghaps in excel and i got these values

air to acrylic there i got 1,5 in refractive value with is what the Refractive index for acrylic is

acrylic to air there i got 0,3

now as far as is know the Refractive value is 1,5 and acrylic and should be that both times, so the question is what is i doing wrong in the second excirse from acrylic to air.

here is a image of something that reminds of our excise:
http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/images/wiki/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/04/Refraction.jpg/250px-Refraction.jpg

here you can download my excel work with my data and graphs
http://www.4shared.com/file/l4oWxzwc/forsg_4.html

hope you guys can tell me why i get different values for the refractive value

Attachments

• forsøg 4.xls
    35.5 KB · Views: 220
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
in the two excersices. Answer:It is possible that the angle of incidence (i) or the angle of refraction (b) are not being measured correctly, resulting in inaccurate values being recorded. It is also possible that the trend line is not being generated correctly, resulting in an incorrect refractive index value. Check your measurements and make sure the trend line is properly configured to ensure accurate results.

1. How does light travel from air to acrylic?

Light travels from air to acrylic through the process of refraction. When light enters the acrylic material, it slows down and bends due to the change in density. This causes the light to change direction and travel through the acrylic material.

2. Why does light appear to bend when it enters acrylic?

Light appears to bend when it enters acrylic because of the change in density between the two materials. This change causes the light to slow down and change direction, giving the appearance of bending.

3. Can light travel from acrylic to air?

Yes, light can travel from acrylic to air. When light passes through the acrylic material, it is refracted and changes direction. When it reaches the other side and enters the air, it is again refracted and changes direction once more.

4. How does the angle of incidence affect light traveling from air to acrylic?

The angle of incidence refers to the angle at which light hits the surface of the acrylic material. The greater the angle of incidence, the greater the angle of refraction will be. This means that light will bend more when entering the acrylic material at a higher angle.

5. Why does acrylic have a different index of refraction than air?

The index of refraction refers to the speed at which light travels through a material. Acrylic has a different index of refraction than air because it is a denser material. The denser the material, the slower light will travel through it, resulting in a higher index of refraction.