Explaining the Rainbow Colors in Thin Films: Interference Homework Problem

In summary, thin-film interference occurs when light waves reflect off the top and bottom surfaces of a film, creating an interference pattern. This pattern is achieved due to a 180° phase shift in the wave when it reflects off a surface of higher index of refraction. The observed colors in the pattern depend on the wavelength of the light being shined on the film, and this pattern will change if white light is used.
physgrl

Homework Statement

When light is shined on thin films the interference pattern results in:

a. there is no interference pattern

*b. rainbow like colors

c. light and dark pattern with no separation of colors

d. a mirror quality reflection

e. polarization of the light

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought the answer was c because I thought all interference was seen this way but the answer key says the answer is b. Can someone explain why?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thin-film interference

Interference between light waves is the reason that thin films, such as soap bubbles, show colorful patterns. This is known as thin-film interference, because it is the interference of light waves reflecting off the top surface of a film with the waves reflecting from the bottom surface. To obtain a nice colored pattern, the thickness of the film has to be similar to the wavelength of light.

An important consideration in determining whether these waves interfere constructively or destructively is the fact that whenever light reflects off a surface of higher index of refraction, the wave is inverted. Peaks become troughs, and troughs become peaks. This is referred to as a 180° phase shift in the wave, but the easiest way to think of it is as an effective shift in the wave by half a wavelength.

http://physics.bu.edu/~duffy/py106/Diffraction.html

but why does it happen? i understand the bright and dark fringes due to constructive and destructive interference but i don't get how we achieve the colors through that process

physgrl said:
but why does it happen? i understand the bright and dark fringes due to constructive and destructive interference but i don't get how we achieve the colors through that process

The question is not well phrased because they don't specify the nature of the light being shined on the film. Does the observed pattern depend upon the wavelength of the light? What happens if the light is white light?

it should not depend on the wavelenght right because its always going to be 1/2 a wavelength out of phase. ohhh only if its white it will be a black and white pattern so the color/colors of the light will change the pattern right?

physgrl said:
it should not depend on the wavelenght right because its always going to be 1/2 a wavelength out of phase.
Are you saying that all light has the same wavelength? So every color of light will produce the same pattern in exactly the same locations?
ohhh only if its white it will be a black and white pattern so the color/colors of the light will change the pattern right?

What color is white light? :wink:

no that's not what i meant...im saying the constructive and destructive interferences will happen in the same relative locations

all colors :)

physgrl said:
no that's not what i meant...im saying the constructive and destructive interferences will happen in the same relative locations

all colors :)

I do believe you've got it :smile:

thanks! :)

1. What is interference in the context of physics?

Interference is a phenomenon that occurs when two or more waves interact with each other. This interaction can result in the waves either reinforcing or canceling each other out, depending on their amplitudes and phases.

2. How does interference affect the outcome of a homework problem?

In a homework problem, interference is often used to determine the resulting amplitude and phase of a wave after it interacts with another wave. This can be used to calculate the intensity, direction, and other properties of the wave.

3. What are the types of interference that can occur in a problem?

There are two main types of interference: constructive and destructive. Constructive interference occurs when two waves have the same phase and combine to form a wave with a larger amplitude. Destructive interference occurs when two waves have opposite phases and cancel each other out.

4. How do you calculate the resulting amplitude of an interfered wave?

To calculate the resulting amplitude of an interfered wave, you can use the principle of superposition. This states that the resulting amplitude is equal to the sum of the individual amplitudes of the interfering waves.

5. What are some real-life examples of interference?

Interference can be seen in many everyday situations, such as when radio signals interfere with each other, resulting in static. It also plays a role in the colors we see, as different wavelengths of light can interfere with each other to create a specific color. In addition, noise-canceling headphones use destructive interference to cancel out external sound waves and create silence for the listener.