Subtract or multiply by a number

• Thread starter roger
  • Start date
In summary, in the conversation, Roger is asking for an explanation as to why, if a=b, doing anything to both sides will result in a valid equality. The experts respond by stating that this is because a and b are names for the same thing, and doing the same thing to both sides will not change this fact. The experts also explain the concept of injective functions and how they relate to the original question. Finally, they clarify that taking square roots in one direction is okay, but not in the reverse direction, when dealing with non-injective functions.
roger
I have a quick basic question , perhaps Arildno could could help me as he was very good at explaining before...

2 + root 9 = 5

If I add or subtract or multiply by a number , the equality holds as long as its done to both sides but if I square both sides it means I multiply one side by

(2 + root 9 ) while I multiply the other side by 5.

But nevertheless, the equality clearly remains valid.

Why is this ?

Thanks

Roger

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't see the mystery. If the original equality holds true (as it does in this case), then squaring both sides will give a valid equality. Muliplying the LHS by the LHS and the RHS by the RHS will give a correct result. In essence, it's the same thing as multiplying both sides by either the LHS or the RHS (since they are equal anyway). However, taking the new equality and taking positive and negative roots of either side will give a wrong result if you're careless about which roots to take (e.g. "nonsense" results like [itex] 2 + \sqrt{9} = -5[/itex]. This is because the functional mapping [itex]f:x \rightarrow x^2[/itex] is not injective over the reals.

Last edited:
Well remember that 2+root 9 and 5 are equal so multiplying a number by 2+root 9 is the same thing as multiplying a number by 5. It doesn't really matter that the two sides are written differently; you're still multiplying both sides by the same number.

Curious3141 said:
I don't see the mystery. If the original equality holds true (as it does in this case), then squaring both sides will give a valid equality. Muliplying the LHS by the LHS and the RHS by the RHS will give a correct result. In essence, it's the same thing as multiplying both sides by either the LHS or the RHS (since they are equal anyway). However, taking the new equality and taking positive and negative roots of either side will give a wrong result if you're careless about which roots to take (e.g. "nonsense" results like [itex] 2 + \sqrt{9} = -5[/itex]. This is because the functional mapping [itex]f:x \rightarrow x^2[/itex] is not injective over the reals.

Please could you explain this in detail (the highlighted part).

Roger

roger said:
[/COLOR]
Please could you explain this in detail (the highlighted part).

Roger

A function is something that maps elements in one set called the domain onto elements in another set called the range. Both of these should be defined when you're defining a function. When you say [itex]f:x \rightarrow y[/itex] you mean "f maps domain x onto range y". Another way of saying the same thing is [itex] f(x) = y[/itex] and I'm sure you've seen that before.

An injective function is one where every element in the range is mapped to by AT MOST one element in the domain. That means no two elements in the domain will get mapped onto one particular element of the range.

In the functional mapping [itex]f:x \rightarrow x^2[/itex], where the domain is all real numbers and the range is nonnegative real numbers, you find that a particular value of the range (say 4) can be mapped to by two possible values in the domain (-2 and + 2). This is because (-2)^2 = (2)^2 = 4. Hence [itex]f:x \rightarrow x^2[/itex] is not an injective function.

There are other terms relating to functions, like surjective and bijective. This link will make things a lot clearer : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injective_function

Hope this helps. :smile:

Last edited:
Injective means one-to-one. One input (and no more than one) to one output.
It is not injective because , for example, f(-1)=f(1). The output 1 has two inputs, 1 and -1. In fact, f(-x)=f(x) for all x.

Facts:
1. If A=B then f(A)=f(B). For example, 1=2-1 and 1^2=(2-1)^2.

2. If f(A)=f(B), then A=+ or - B. For example, 9=3^2=(-3)^2=9.

However, asking about "functional mappings" in order to see why, if a= b, doing anything to both sides results in an equality that is still valid is overkill.

The only mathematical point is that "a= b" means "a and b are names for the same thing". If I start with the same thing and then do exactly the same thing, it doesn't matter if I call then "Bill" or "Annie", the result is the same!

(And writing "root 9" instead of "3" has nothing whatever to do with it!)

HallsofIvy said:
However, asking about "functional mappings" in order to see why, if a= b, doing anything to both sides results in an equality that is still valid is overkill.

Agreed. I wanted to emphasise that squaring was OK but taking square roots was not, and only expanded when Roger asked for a detailed clarification.

For this direction, taking the square root is perfectly good (as long as the square root exists). It's only when you try to reverse a function that is not one-to-one that you run into trouble.

1. What is the difference between subtracting and multiplying by a number?

Subtracting a number from another number means finding the difference between the two numbers. This is done by taking away the second number from the first number. Multiplying a number by another number means finding the product of the two numbers. This is done by adding the first number to itself the number of times specified by the second number.

2. When should I use subtraction instead of multiplication?

Subtraction is typically used when finding the difference between two quantities or when removing a portion from a whole. Multiplication is used when finding the total number of objects in equal groups or when increasing a quantity by a certain factor.

3. How do I subtract or multiply by a negative number?

Subtracting or multiplying by a negative number is the same as adding or multiplying by a positive number with the opposite sign. For example, subtracting -3 is the same as adding 3. Multiplying by -2 is the same as multiplying by 2 and then adding a negative sign.

4. What happens when I subtract or multiply by zero?

When subtracting by zero, the original number remains the same as no quantity has been taken away. When multiplying by zero, the result will always be zero as no groups are being created. It is important to note that dividing by zero is undefined and cannot be done.

5. Can I use both subtraction and multiplication in the same equation?

Yes, subtraction and multiplication can be used together in an equation. However, it is important to follow the correct order of operations, which states that multiplication should be done before subtraction. If parentheses are used to specify the order of operations, then the operation inside the parentheses should be done first.