Velocity of Water in 5 cm Tube: Solve Equation

• Thread starter coldsteel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fluids
In summary, water is being forced through a tube with a radius of 5 cm and connected to a tube with a radius of 1 cm at a rate of 10 liters/min. The pressure in the 5 cm tube is 1×10^5 Pa and the density of water is 1000 kg/m3. Using the equation for flow rate of liquid, it can be determined that the velocity of the water in the 5 cm tube is not directly given and requires unit conversions. Converting liters to milliliters and minutes to seconds may help in finding the correct equation.
coldsteel
1.A tube of radius 5 cm is connected to tube of radius 1 cm. Water is forced through the tube at a rate of 10 liters/min. The pressure in the 5 cm tube is 1×10^5 Pa. The density of water is 1000 kg/m3. Assume that the water is nonviscous and uncompressible.
What is the velocity of the water in the 5 cm radius tube?

2. Flow rate of liquid = Velocity X Area.
3. I believe the units are messing me up. I am not sure about the 10 liters/min. but my equation: 10 liters/min = (1000)x(5^2)(∏)(V) I am not coming up with the correct answers, and don't know if this is even close to the right equation. can somone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
The volume and area need to have the same length units.

convert the Liters into milliliters (L-mL) and use the conversion 1mL=1cm^3 than change minutes into seconds (1min=60sec)

What is the equation for calculating the velocity of water in a 5 cm tube?

The equation for calculating the velocity of water in a 5 cm tube is v = Q/A, where v is the velocity, Q is the volumetric flow rate, and A is the cross-sectional area of the tube.

How do I solve the equation for velocity of water in a 5 cm tube?

To solve the equation for velocity of water in a 5 cm tube, you will need to know the volumetric flow rate and the cross-sectional area of the tube. You can then plug these values into the equation v = Q/A and solve for v.

What units should I use for the equation to calculate the velocity of water in a 5 cm tube?

The units for velocity should be in meters per second (m/s), the units for volumetric flow rate should be in cubic meters per second (m^3/s), and the units for cross-sectional area should be in square meters (m^2).

Can I use this equation for tubes with different diameters?

No, this equation is specifically for tubes with a diameter of 5 cm. If you want to calculate the velocity of water in a tube with a different diameter, you will need to use a different equation that takes into account the specific dimensions of the tube.

What factors can affect the velocity of water in a 5 cm tube?

The velocity of water in a 5 cm tube can be affected by factors such as the pressure of the water, the viscosity of the water, and any obstructions or bends in the tube that may cause turbulence.