Order to Read Quantum Mechanics Books.

In summary, the recommended order for studying quantum mechanics is: Liboff, Griffiths, Sakurai, Dirac. Shankar's book can be replaced with Leslie Ballentine's text if available. Other suggested texts include: Bransden, Liboff, Merzbacher, Aruldhas G for introductory texts, and Serway/Moses/Moyer, Zetilli, Cohen-Tanoudji, Schwable, Messiah, Atkinson's for supplementary reading. It is also suggested to have a strong understanding of Hamiltonian mechanics/formalism and to read chapters in Sakurai more than once. Modern Physics can also be studied before Quantum Mechanics.
n10Newton
Please Suggest what will be the order as Elementry to Intermediate to Advanced.
Is this Correct Choice Griffith's"Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" to Shanker."Principles of Quantum Mechanics" to Sakurai."Modern Quantum Mechanics".And After Completing All "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by PAM Dirac.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would replace Shankar's book with Leslie Ballentine's text as a parallel to Sakurai's.

Well The book may be good but not available in my country.

If those 4 are your only available texts, then yes, the order you have chosen is the right one.

These also available.
1.Quantum Mechanics by B. H. Bransden, C. J. Joachain
2.Introductory Quantum Mechanics by Richard Liboff
3.Quantum Mechanics by Eugen Merzbacher
4.Quantum Mechanics by Aruldhas G
5.Advanced Quantum Mechanics by Sakurai.

My country has all Imprints of Pearson(Addison-Wesely), Prentice Hall, McGraw Hill & Wiley. Remaining all Imported Edition so Price is vey High.

Then you can choose either Bransden or Liboff for the introductory text instead of Griffiths and Merzbacher as a supplimentary reading to Sakurai's MODERN (not Advanced) Quantum Mechanics and remove Shankar's text altogether.

The <Advanced Quantum Mechanics> text by Sakurai' is actually more QFT than QM, it's from the 1960's and uses an old fashioned relativistic notation (but has valuable insights nonetheless). You can use real and newer QFT texts instead of it.

Thanks. I was thinking Griffith the Ultimate basic. but as elementry I choose Liboff now. so order will be Liboff to Griffith to Sakurai. to Dirac.

You could throw in Modern Physics by Serway/Moses/Moyer before Griffith as a sophomore-level text.

One of the reasons that there are quite a lot of textbooks on QM is that not everyone put the same emphasis on the same topics. I think it's a good idea to use several references.
For me it was a combination of Cohen-Tanoudji, Schwable, Messiah,Atkinson's. Also look for exercise with solutions textbooks.

When I started to learn quantum mechanics for research purposes last spring I think I started with a combination of Griffiths and a modern physics textbook I used for class (I used Tipler but I would not recommend it at all), then Shankar, then Sakurai. It helps to read chapters in Sakurai more than once though (for example read the first three chapters then go back and read them again while going on to the next chapter). It also helps to be familiar with Hamiltonian mechanics/formalism.

Well, Modern Physics before Quantum Mechanics is very helpful but I already studied Modern Physics from Krane and some in Introductory Text "University Physics" so I directly started the Quantum.

1. What is the recommended order for reading quantum mechanics books?

The recommended order for reading quantum mechanics books is to start with introductory texts that cover the basic concepts and mathematical tools of quantum mechanics. Then, move on to more advanced texts that delve into specific topics and applications.

2. Should I have a strong background in mathematics before reading quantum mechanics books?

Having a strong background in mathematics, particularly in calculus and linear algebra, can be helpful in understanding the mathematical concepts and equations used in quantum mechanics. However, some introductory texts may provide a review of the necessary math concepts.

3. Are there any prerequisites for reading quantum mechanics books?

A basic understanding of physics, specifically classical mechanics and electromagnetism, is recommended before diving into quantum mechanics. It is also helpful to have a curious and open mindset, as quantum mechanics can challenge our classical understanding of the world.

4. What are some popular quantum mechanics books for beginners?

Some popular quantum mechanics books for beginners include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman, and "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili.

5. How can I apply the knowledge I gain from reading quantum mechanics books?

The principles and concepts of quantum mechanics have many real-world applications, such as in quantum computing, cryptography, and materials science. Additionally, understanding quantum mechanics can provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental nature of the universe and its building blocks.