General Relativity And Quantum Mechanics

In summary: This has been dubbed the "black hole information paradox". In summary, the discrepancy between general relativity and quantum mechanics is in the domain of the early universe.
abercrombiems02
Hey everyone, I'm having some trouble finding the discrepancies between general relativity and quantum mechanics. Could someone please give me a dummy's version of how the two theories contradict each other. In general, I know that general relativity suggests that the prescence of mass and energy warp the curvurature of space-time. Also, quantum mechanics suggests the existence of discrete states as well as many other things. In what aspects do the two theories contradict each other. The most watered down version you can give me is perfectly fine. I'm an engineer and have not studied most of these more theoretical concepts. I've only been exposed to very very basic quantum mechanics and special relativity. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
abercrombiems02 said:
The most watered down version you can give me is perfectly fine.

The usual discrepancy between the two is in the very early universe, when predicted GR effects tend to infinity ("a singularity"). There is no analog to this state in QM.

I personally would say there is not so much a contradiction between the two, as that they apply over a slightly different domain. Despite the detemined and persistent efforts of top physicists, no consistent theory of unified quantum gravity has been forthcoming to date.

a. It is possible that GR and QM are both "correct"; but are not subsets of a single "theory of everything" (TOE).

b. It is also possible that both gravity and quantum fields are related dynamically via gravitons, but that there is no experimental possibility of demonstrating such within reach of future particle accelerators.

c. It is also possible that with some future adjustments, a good TOE will be discovered and eventually verified by experiment.

One area where these is a problem is the question of what happens inside a black hole. When applying QM and GR together mathematical nonsense results.

1. What is the difference between General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics?

General Relativity is a theory that explains the behavior of large-scale objects and their gravitational interactions, while Quantum Mechanics explains the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions. The two theories have different mathematical frameworks and are used to describe different phenomena.

2. Can General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics be unified?

There have been many attempts to unify General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics into a single theory, known as quantum gravity. However, a complete and consistent theory of quantum gravity has not yet been achieved and remains an active area of research in theoretical physics.

3. How does General Relativity explain the curvature of space-time?

According to General Relativity, the presence of matter and energy in the universe causes the fabric of space-time to curve. This curvature is what we experience as the force of gravity. The more massive an object is, the more it curves space-time around it.

4. What is the significance of the speed of light in General Relativity?

The speed of light, denoted as "c", is a fundamental constant in General Relativity. It serves as the maximum speed limit in the universe and plays a crucial role in the theory's equations, including the famous equation E=mc^2. It also helps to explain the behavior of light and other electromagnetic radiation in the presence of massive objects.

5. How does Quantum Mechanics explain the probabilistic nature of subatomic particles?

According to Quantum Mechanics, subatomic particles do not have definite properties, such as position or momentum, until they are measured. Instead, they exist in a state of superposition, meaning they can exist in multiple states simultaneously. The probabilities of different outcomes are described by the wave function, which evolves over time according to the Schrödinger equation.