OPTICS - Final tomorrow - Practice test help

In summary, the conversation was primarily about a physics problem involving finding polarization states and equations for electric and magnetic fields. The participants also briefly discussed a telescope design and mentioned attending West Virginia University.
ChEJosh

Homework Statement

2007-12-13-1840-10.jpg

2007-12-13-1842-06.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(3) I haven't been able to start this one at all.

(6) I got part a (+45º P-state). I tried to do b and I got [1+i, -i+1] which isn't a polarization state, so I'm not sure what to do with c or if there is some way I can simplify it.

(7) Once again, I got part a. It's of the form E=[tex]E_{0}[/tex][[tex]\widehat{i}[/tex]cos(kz-wt)+[tex]\widehat{j}[/tex]sin(kz-wt)]
Does the cosine term drop out from the initial conditions?
For b, I'm not sure how to get the magnetic field equation. I know [tex]\overline{B}[/tex]=([tex]\overline{K}[/tex][tex]\times[/tex][tex]\overline{E}[/tex])/[tex]\omega[/tex]
But, I'm not sure how that helps me

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
3, sounds like it is describing a kepler telescope - a common design for a beam expander.
The two positive lenses are separated by the sum of their focal lengths.
The magnification is the ratio of the focal lengths.
A simple sketch shows you how it works.

What school do you go to, that paper and font, its exactly the same, is there some standard I don't know about?

topherfox said:
What school do you go to, that paper and font, its exactly the same, is there some standard I don't know about?

WVU
And apparently, if you only have 3 characters in a message, it's "too short"

1. What topics should I focus on for the optics final tomorrow?

For the optics final, it is important to review the fundamentals of light, such as reflection, refraction, and diffraction. Additionally, understanding the properties of lenses, mirrors, and prisms will be crucial. Don't forget to also study the electromagnetic spectrum and the basics of optics in different mediums.

2. How can I better prepare for the optics practice test?

One of the best ways to prepare for the optics practice test is to review all of your notes and previous assignments. Make sure to also complete any practice problems provided by your instructor. Additionally, consider forming a study group with classmates to discuss and quiz each other on the material.

3. What is the best way to approach the optics final tomorrow?

On the day of the optics final, it is important to stay calm and focused. Start by reviewing your notes and any study materials you have prepared. Make sure to read each question carefully and show all of your work for full credit. If you get stuck on a question, move on and come back to it later.

4. Are there any specific equations or formulas I should memorize for the optics final?

While it is always helpful to have equations and formulas memorized, it is more important to understand the concepts behind them. That being said, make sure to review and familiarize yourself with equations related to Snell's Law, thin lens and mirror equations, and the speed of light in different mediums.

5. How can I improve my understanding of optics in general?

To improve your understanding of optics, consider doing additional practice problems and experiments outside of class. Watching videos or attending study sessions can also be helpful. Don't be afraid to ask your instructor for extra help or clarification on any concepts you are struggling with.