Reversible adiabatic expansion of ideal gas, entropy change?

In summary, the gas undergoes a reversible isothermal expansion, which results in a change in entropy.
krhisjun

Homework Statement

One mole of an ideal gas at 0 celcius is subjected to changes below, calculate the change in entropy of the gas:

i) Gas is expanded reversibly and isothermally to twice its initial volume. DONE - 5.76 J/K
ii)A similar expansion to i. is performed reversibly and adiabatically [hint, for an ideeal gas undergoing reversible adiabatic expansion TV^(gamma - 1) = constant]

Homework Equations

I know delta Q = -nRT Ln (Vf/Vi) for a reversible isothermal expansion

delta S = delta Q / absolute T

dE = dW + dQ

The Attempt at a Solution

for a isolated system i know the entropy change would be zero, but as it doesn't state this i don't feel that i can just state "assuming system is isolated entropy change is zero"
so I am stuck how to go about this..

Khris

Physics news on Phys.org
krhisjun said:

Homework Statement

One mole of an ideal gas at 0 celcius is subjected to changes below, calculate the change in entropy of the gas:

i) Gas is expanded reversibly and isothermally to twice its initial volume. DONE - 5.76 J/K
ii)A similar expansion to i. is performed reversibly and adiabatically [hint, for an ideeal gas undergoing reversible adiabatic expansion TV^(gamma - 1) = constant]

Homework Equations

I know delta Q = -nRT Ln (Vf/Vi) for a reversible isothermal expansion

delta S = delta Q / absolute T

dE = dW + dQ

The Attempt at a Solution

for a isolated system i know the entropy change would be zero, but as it doesn't state this i don't feel that i can just state "assuming system is isolated entropy change is zero"
so I am stuck how to go about this..
The entropy change of the gas is not zero.

Work it out (Hint: you don't actually have to do any integration).

[tex]\Delta S = \int_1^2 dQ/T + \int_2^3 dQ/T[/tex]

AM

i know
[tex]
\Delta S = \int_1^2 dQ/T + \int_2^3 dQ/T
[/tex]
but dQ is zero for an adiabatic process isn't it?

Khris

Andrew Mason said:

AM

Sorry to bring this up again, but doing a similar question...

Surely here dQ = 0 since the gas is expanded adiabatically?

Andrew Mason said:

AM

heloooo? *bump*

What is reversible adiabatic expansion of an ideal gas?

Reversible adiabatic expansion of an ideal gas is a process in which a gas expands without any heat transfer to or from its surroundings, and the expansion is done slowly enough that the system remains in thermodynamic equilibrium at all times.

How does reversible adiabatic expansion of an ideal gas affect entropy?

During reversible adiabatic expansion, the entropy of the gas remains constant. This is because there is no heat transfer, and therefore no change in the thermal energy of the gas. As a result, the gas does work on its surroundings without any increase in disorder, thus keeping its entropy constant.

What is the equation for reversible adiabatic expansion of an ideal gas?

The equation for reversible adiabatic expansion of an ideal gas is P1V1γ = P2V2γ, where P represents pressure, V represents volume, and γ represents the adiabatic index of the gas.

What is the difference between reversible and irreversible adiabatic expansion?

In reversible adiabatic expansion, the gas expands slowly and is always in thermodynamic equilibrium, resulting in no change in entropy. In contrast, irreversible adiabatic expansion occurs when the expansion is rapid and the system is not in equilibrium, leading to an increase in entropy.

What are some real-world applications of reversible adiabatic expansion of an ideal gas?

Reversible adiabatic expansion of an ideal gas is commonly used in heat engines, such as gas turbines, to produce work without any heat transfer. It is also utilized in refrigeration systems, where adiabatic expansion of a gas is used to produce a cooling effect. Additionally, reversible adiabatic expansion is a key concept in thermodynamics and is used in various industrial processes and technologies.