How many volts would damage a cellphone battery?

In summary, charging a cellphone battery requires a small fixed current at a specific voltage that matches the battery's terminal voltage. Applying the wrong current or voltage can cause damage, especially with Lithium Ion batteries which have specific charging requirements. It is important to research and understand these requirements before attempting to charge a battery to avoid the risk of explosions or fires. It is also recommended to compare the cost of a new battery to a new charger to determine the best course of action.
shoes
I'm trying to charge my cellphone and would like to know how many volts would cause the cellphone battery damage? Also, how many amps would an average phone need to be charged?

Engineering news on Phys.org
How are you trying to charge it?

Erk - don't try it if you value your battery.

The parameters depend strongly on the battery - cell-phone batteries are not built to a standard.
Generally you apply a very small current at a fixed voltage and the battery is charged when it's terminal voltage matches the supply voltage... so you seem to have the concepts backwards ... which contributes to the advise: don't try it. How you go about it is also important.

You can find someone with a similar phone and read what you need off their charger. Mine is rated 5V at 350mA. 5V is pretty standard but the current will vary between phones - I used to charge batteries with a variable PSU and a current divider - I'd start with a very low current through the battery and raise the parallel resistance until the battery got warm ... but then, I broke a lot of batteries figuring out the limits.

Work out the cost of a new battery against the cost of a new charger.
That's your risks.

shoes said:
I'm trying to charge my cellphone and would like to know how many volts would cause the cellphone battery damage? Also, how many amps would an average phone need to be charged?

Cell phone batteries these days are usually Lithium Ion. That type of battery has very specific charging requirements. doing it incorrectly can cause the battery to burst into flames or explode.
Do some google searching on Li-Io batteries

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
nice one Borek

perfect demonstration of my warnings.
The Li-Io and Li-Po are both capable of that reaction if charged incorrectly

Dave

shoes said:

It depends the maximum voltage that your battery can bear.It can over the maximum voltage on your battery said.

1. What is the maximum safe voltage for a cellphone battery?

The maximum safe voltage for a cellphone battery varies depending on the type and model of the battery. However, most cellphone batteries can handle up to 4.2 volts without any damage.

2. Will using a higher voltage charger damage my cellphone battery?

Using a charger with a higher voltage than recommended can potentially damage your cellphone battery. It is best to use the charger that came with your phone or one that has the same voltage output.

3. Can a cellphone battery be damaged by using a lower voltage charger?

Using a charger with a lower voltage than recommended will not damage your cellphone battery. However, it may take longer to charge the battery or may not fully charge it.

4. How does the voltage affect the lifespan of a cellphone battery?

If a cellphone battery is consistently exposed to a higher voltage than recommended, it can shorten the lifespan of the battery. This is because the higher voltage can cause the battery to overheat and degrade faster over time.

5. Is it safe to charge a cellphone battery with a different voltage than recommended?

No, it is not safe to charge a cellphone battery with a different voltage than recommended. This can cause damage to the battery and potentially lead to safety hazards, such as explosions or fires. Always use the recommended charger for your specific phone model.