Physics 1 projectile motion and Electrical Engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses the relevance of constant acceleration and projectile motion problems in relation to later electrical engineering concepts. The speaker mentions that these topics are useful in understanding math concepts such as calculus and algebra, and they are also relevant to motion of a charged particle in an electric field. However, the speaker notes that constant acceleration is not common in electrical engineering, and instead, dynamic accelerations and vibrations are more commonly encountered. The use of simple harmonic motion concepts is also mentioned, and the speaker recommends taking a complex variables course for a better understanding of these concepts in electrical engineering.
LearninDaMath
I'm going to head towards an electrical engineering path. At this stage, I'm just taking physics 1 w/ calculus.

Just wondering, how does chapter 2 and 3, constant acceleration and projectile motion problems, relate to later electrical engineering concepts?

I find these acceleration problems pretty interesting, especially since understanding these projectile motion problems help to add context to some math topics I am only recently learning about, such as calculus (derivatives) and algebra (parabolas) topics.

So, just wondering, how relevant are constant acceleration topics to later electrical engineering concepts?

Physics news on Phys.org
LearninDaMath said:
So, just wondering, how relevant are constant acceleration topics to later electrical engineering concepts?

Well.. a "classic" type of problem that you'll see in physics II (Electromagnetism) is motion of a charged particle in an electric field. Not all electric fields are uniform.. but in a uniform field you have uniform acceleration (and projectile motion). Now in EM devices, the easiest way to make these fields is in between parallel plates that have an electric potential across them (i.e. a parallel plate capacitor).

Fortunately, however... you get to even cooler stuff (in my humble opinion).

Physics 2 is obviously very relevant.

Constant acceleration is pretty irrelevant to Electrical Engineering topics, with a few exceptions. But constant linear force/acceleration isn't very common anywhere, really. You will more likely be dealing with dynamic accelerations or vibrations (motors, actuators, etc), if you deal with forces at all once you finish statics/dynamics. I haven't got to controls yet, but I assume there are some statics/dynamics principles in there.

You will use simple harmonic motion concepts a lot, though. The math is basically the same as for analyzing sinusoidal sources in circuits, except it's infinite series of trig functions instead of just one or two (not as bad as it sounds).

Advice - If you take any extra math, I highly recommend taking a complex variables course before you take your second circuits class (or whichever one it is for you -ask around). You will be a much happier person learning it from the math department :)

1. What is projectile motion in Physics 1?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or other medium under the force of gravity. It is characterized by two components: horizontal motion at a constant velocity and vertical motion with an acceleration due to gravity.

2. How is projectile motion related to Electrical Engineering?

Projectile motion is important in Electrical Engineering because it helps engineers understand the path and trajectory of objects, such as satellites or rockets, that are launched into space. Engineers must use principles of projectile motion to calculate the necessary velocity and launch angle for these objects to reach their desired destination.

3. What is the equation for projectile motion?

The equation for projectile motion is given by y = y0 + v0t + 1/2at^2, where y is the vertical position of the object, y0 is the initial vertical position, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the path and motion of a projectile. As the object moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its movement, which can cause it to slow down and deviate from its intended path. The effect of air resistance on a projectile's motion depends on its shape, size, and velocity.

5. What are some real-world examples of projectile motion in Electrical Engineering?

Some real-world examples of projectile motion in Electrical Engineering include the launch and trajectory of satellites, rockets, and missiles. Engineers must use principles of projectile motion to accurately launch and guide these objects to their desired destinations in space or on Earth.