Magnitude of the electric field in a copper wire.

by Pepjag
Tags: copper wire, electric field
Pepjag
Oct22-12, 05:35 PM
P: 9
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the circuit shown, two thick copper wires connect a 1.5 V battery to a Nichrome wire. Each copper wire has radius R = 7 mm and is L = 18 cm long. Copper has 8.4 10^28 mobile electrons per cubic meter and an electron mobility of 4.410^−3 (m/s)/(V/m). The Nichrome wire is l = 5 cm long and has radius r = 3 mm. Nichrome has 9 10^28 mobile electrons/m3 and an electron mobility of 7 10^−5 (m/s)/(V/m). What is the magnitude of the electric field in the copper wire? Answer in units of N/C

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\bar{v}[/itex][itex]_{thin}[/itex]=(A[itex]_{thick}[/itex]/A[itex]_{thin}[/itex])[itex]\bar{v}[/itex][itex]_{thick}[/itex]

[itex]\bar{v}[/itex] = uE

E=V/L

3. The attempt at a solution

I plug in my known values, but I have two unknowns, the electric fields. I'm not sure how to use these equations.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Simplicity is key to co-operative robots
Chemical vapor deposition used to grow atomic layer materials on top of each other
Earliest ancestor of land herbivores discovered
Simon Bridge
Oct22-12, 10:22 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
PF Gold
P: 10,925
You also know other stuff: that ##2V_{Cu}+V_{Ni}=1.5V## for example.

You also know all kinds of physics about the drift velocity, resistance, current etc. to draw on.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drift_velocity
Pepjag
Oct22-12, 11:07 PM
P: 9
I had figured it out for a while now but thanks anyway. I just had to use the electron current formula and the voltage loop formula (as you stated); Plug in numbers, solve for e-field and plug in to the other equation.

Simon Bridge
Oct22-12, 11:20 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
PF Gold
P: 10,925

Magnitude of the electric field in a copper wire.

Cool - hopefully someone else stuck on a similar problem will benefit from your question ;)

Register to reply