Relation b/w elctrical resistance and stress-strain

In summary, the conversation was about a subtle observation regarding a room heater with spring coil heating. The speaker accidentally straightened a section of the coil when it was switched off and noticed that it became less "red hot" when current was passed through it. This is most likely due to the fact that there is more cooling air flow around the straight wire compared to the coiled wire. The speaker also asks if this could be related to a change in electrical resistance with stress-strain.
ank160
Hey All!

My question is regrading a subtle observation that i made when i was straing at my "spring coil type" room heater. Accidently i pulled up some stands of heating coil spring to make them straight section (obviuosly when it was switched off). Then, when i passed current through it, after some time, i found that the straight section's color was less "red hot" than the other part of spring.

Does it has anything to do with change in electrical resistance with stress-strain.

Please explain.

Physics news on Phys.org
More likely, this is because there is more cooling air flow around the length of straight wire than around the same length of "coiled up" wire.

AlephZero said:
More likely, this is because there is more cooling air flow around the length of straight wire than around the same length of "coiled up" wire.

Thanks for the explanation.

What is the relationship between electrical resistance and stress-strain?

The relationship between electrical resistance and stress-strain is known as the piezoresistive effect. This effect states that when a material is subjected to mechanical stress, its electrical resistance will change. This change in resistance can be either positive (resistance increases with stress) or negative (resistance decreases with stress).

What factors affect the piezoresistive effect?

The piezoresistive effect is affected by several factors, including the material's composition, structure, and physical properties. The orientation of the material's crystal structure, as well as the magnitude and direction of the applied stress, can also impact the relationship between electrical resistance and stress-strain.

How is the piezoresistive effect used in practical applications?

The piezoresistive effect has many practical applications, especially in the field of sensors. It is used to measure strain, pressure, and force in various industries, including automotive, aerospace, and biomedical. It is also used in touchscreens, accelerometers, and other electronic devices.

Is the piezoresistive effect reversible?

Yes, the piezoresistive effect is reversible. When the applied stress is removed, the material's electrical resistance will return to its original value. This makes it a reliable and repeatable phenomenon, which is crucial in many sensing applications.

How can the piezoresistive effect be manipulated for specific purposes?

The piezoresistive effect can be manipulated by altering the material's composition, structure, and processing techniques. Different materials, such as semiconductors, conductors, and polymers, exhibit different levels of piezoresistive response. By choosing the appropriate material and optimizing its properties, the piezoresistive effect can be tailored for specific applications.