Tutorials for Visual Basic Beginners

In summary, the person is looking for online sources to learn Visual Basic programming for their engineering work. They come across a website that has some useful information and ask about opening certain file extensions. The expert explains that VBA and VB have similar syntax but different usage, and that they should download the VS Express from Microsoft to write programs.
bugatti79
Hi Folks,

I have Google'd the above topic but I haven't found anything satisfactory. I am an engineer and I want to learn Visual basic programming (no programming experience) to enhance my excel usability.

Can you advise any good online sources that is geared towards science engineering?

Thanks
Bugatti

Technology news on Phys.org
TurtleMeister said:
Maybe VBA is what you're looking for. Try searching "visual basic for applications". For example: http://www.emagenit.com/excelvbabasicsengineering.htm. Don't know anything about it. I just found it with google.

Ok, thanks. I came across this website, there is some useful information.

http://www.neng.usu.edu/cee/faculty...ing2002/VBGradClass/VBGradClass.htm#Examples1

How do I open the following extensions vbp, vbw and frm files?

Thanks

They are all text files, so you can open them with any text editor. The most interesting of the lot is the frm file (the VB form), which contains the structure of the form that is displayed, as well as the VB code that executes when you interact with the form.

The vbp file seems to be some sort of configuration file, but I don't know what the vbw file is for.

Although VB and VBA have similar syntax, their usage is different. VBA cannot compile your code into a standalone executable program. It is only used within the target application environment, such as word or excel.

The vbp file is the visual basic project file. It contains the settings for you project, such as forms, modules and references. The vbw file is the visual basic project workspace file. It contains information about how you have your IDE setup. These files are used with VB, not VBA. You do not normally access them directly, the IDE manages them for you. If you're interested in learning VB, the first thing you should do is download the (free) VS Express from Microsoft. It contains the IDE you'll need to write your programs. The new 2012 version also has C# included, which I like because I use both. However, I do not like the look and style of the new version.

ok,

Thanks for this info!

What is Visual Basic?

Visual Basic is a programming language and integrated development environment (IDE) used to create software applications for the Windows operating system. It is known for its ease of use and ability to create graphical user interfaces.

Why should I learn Visual Basic?

Learning Visual Basic can provide you with a solid foundation in programming principles and can also help you create applications for Windows-based systems. It can also be a useful skill to have for job opportunities in fields such as software development and data analysis.

Do I need any prior programming experience to learn Visual Basic?

No, Visual Basic is often considered to be a beginner-friendly programming language. However, having a basic understanding of programming concepts such as variables and control structures can make the learning process easier.

Are there any free resources available for learning Visual Basic?

Yes, there are many free tutorials, videos, and online courses available for learning Visual Basic. Some popular resources include Microsoft's official Visual Basic documentation, YouTube tutorials, and websites like Codeacademy and W3Schools.

What kind of applications can I create with Visual Basic?

Visual Basic can be used to create a wide range of applications, from simple programs like calculators and text editors to more complex applications like database management systems and games. Its versatility makes it a popular choice among beginner programmers.