What Is the Correct Unit for Mean Square Velocity?

In summary, the unit of velocity is m/s and the unit of mean square velocity is m2/s2, which is the average of the squared velocity. There may be a typo in your book or they may be referring to root-mean square velocity.
HUMERA.S
hi...
we know the unit of velocity is m/s2
and
while calculating the mean square velocity we find the average(or mean) of the 'squares' of the given velocities.
then the unit of MEAN SQUARE VELOCITY should be 'm2/s4'
then how come its unit is also m/s2 and not m2/s4 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
i think that it's m/s.

HUMERA.S said:
hi...
we know the unit of velocity is m/s2
and
while calculating the mean square velocity we find the average(or mean) of the 'squares' of the given velocities.
then the unit of MEAN SQUARE VELOCITY should be 'm2/s4'
then how come its unit is also m/s2 and not m2/s4 ?

The unit of velocity is m/s. m/s2 is for acceleration.
The unit of the mean of square velocity is m2/s2, but we ususally speak about root-mean-square (RMS) velocity or speed - and it is m/s.

ehild

ehild said:
The unit of velocity is m/s. m/s2 is for acceleration.
The unit of the mean of square velocity is m2/s2

OOOPS..! yeah sorry i made a mistake .:redface: the unit for velocity is m/s..

but is the unit of mean square velocity really m2/s2 ?
(i mean, i just want to confirm. because in my book the unit of mean square velocity is given as m/s...:confused:... so the book must be wrong .)

Mean square velocity is the average of the squared velocity. If it is square velocity , the unit is m2/s2. It can be a typo in your book, or they meant root-mean square velocity.

ehild

What is the unit of mean square velocity?

The unit of mean square velocity is typically expressed in meters squared per second squared (m2/s2).

How is mean square velocity calculated?

Mean square velocity is calculated by squaring the individual velocities of particles in a system, summing those values, and dividing by the total number of particles. This gives a measure of the average squared velocity of particles in a given system.

What does mean square velocity represent?

Mean square velocity represents the average kinetic energy of particles in a system, as well as the overall speed of particles within that system.

How is mean square velocity related to temperature?

Mean square velocity is directly proportional to temperature, meaning that an increase in temperature results in an increase in mean square velocity. This is due to the fact that temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a system.

Why is mean square velocity important in scientific research?

Mean square velocity is important in scientific research because it provides valuable information about the behavior and properties of particles in a system. It can also be used to make predictions about the macroscopic properties of substances, such as their temperature and pressure.