Understanding Current: Definition and Comparison to Math-Defined Current

In summary, current is defined as the rate at which charge is moving through a cross-section of a conductor. It is equivalent to the flow rate of the water through the pipe.
Nikitin
This is a very sound stupid question, but I'll go ahead anyway.

Current is defined as the displacement of charge through a cross-section of a conductor per unit time. Okay. But how does relate to its math-definition, current = change of charge with respect to time, I=dQ/dt? I mean, for every charge leaving the cross-section of the conductor, an equivalent one will enter. This means that across the cross-section dQ/dt, the summed change of charge with respect to time, equals 0!

I find I = Q/t, current = amount of charge passing the cross-section per unit time, a much more intuitive definition..

So can you guys help me make sense of this?

Last edited:
Likes person_random_normal
Physics news on Phys.org
define a surface boundary. it doesn't have to be a closed surface, but it may be (and if it is, then continuity applies). electric current is defined to be the rate (w.r.t. time) that charge is crossing from one side of that surface boundary to the other. nothing else.

if the surface is closed, then continuity requires that the negative of the rate of amount of charge contained inside the closed surface is equal to the current crossing that boundary from inside to out.

for every charge leaving the cross-section of the conductor, an equivalent one will enter.

The water analogy for electricity isn't perfect but in effect you are saying..

"for every CC of water leaving the pipe an equivalent amount will enter"

That's true.

However electric current is equivalent to the flow rate of the water through the pipe not the change in volume of water in the pipe.

I=dQ/dt is equivalent to measuring the instantaneous flow rate of the water.

I=Q/t would be more akin to measuring the amount of water used over say a year and dividing acccordingly to give the average flow rate over that period.. or perhaps the total amount of water that has ever flowed through the pipe divided by the age of the pipe.

Last edited:
Nikitin said:
This is a very sound stupid question, but I'll go ahead anyway.

Current is defined as the displacement of charge through a cross-section of a conductor per unit time. Okay. But how does relate to its math-definition, current = change of charge with respect to time, I=dQ/dt? I mean, for every charge leaving the cross-section of the conductor, an equivalent one will enter. This means that across the cross-section dQ/dt, the summed change of charge with respect to time, equals 0!

I find I = Q/t, current = amount of charge passing the cross-section per unit time, a much more intuitive definition..

So can you guys help me make sense of this?

That word is where your problem lies. If you substitute the word 'flow' then your worry ceases to be.

thanks!

1. What is current and how is it defined?

Current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor. It is defined as the rate of flow of electric charge, measured in amperes (A).

2. How is current related to math-defined current?

Math-defined current, also known as conventional current, is based on the direction of positive charge flow. It assumes that current flows from positive to negative, opposite to the actual flow of electrons. This convention is used in circuit analysis and calculations.

3. What is the difference between direct current (DC) and alternating current (AC)?

Direct current is a type of current where the flow of electric charge is in one direction, while alternating current is a type of current where the direction of flow is constantly changing. DC is commonly used in batteries, while AC is used in household outlets and power grids.

4. How is current measured?

Current is measured using a device called an ammeter, which is placed in series with the circuit. The ammeter measures the flow of electric charge and displays the value in amperes (A).

5. What factors affect the amount of current in a circuit?

The amount of current in a circuit is affected by the voltage applied, the resistance of the circuit, and the type of material through which the current is flowing. Additionally, the temperature and length of the conductor can also affect the flow of current.