fusion terminology

by Khashishi
Tags: fusion, terminology
Khashishi
May7-13, 10:46 PM
P: 832
Ok, I am a fusion physicist, but I still don't know what the strict criterion is for calling a nuclear reaction a fusion reaction. Yes, it's a collision between two nuclei that results in a bigger nucleus. But, then [itex]^{11}B + ^{1}H \rightarrow 3 \alpha[/itex] is usually called a fusion reaction. Isn't it more like fission?

Is it called fusion because most of the energy released comes from the low binding energy of hydrogen-1?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Information storage for the next generation of plastic computers
Scientists capture ultrafast snapshots of light-driven superconductivity
Progress in the fight against quantum dissipation
HallsofIvy
May8-13, 07:27 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,879
[itex]^{11}B+ ^1H\rightarrow 3\alpha[/itex] starts with two particles (on the left) and ends with one particle (on the right). Isn't that what "fusion" means?
Bandersnatch
May8-13, 07:30 AM
P: 550
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
[itex]^{11}B+ ^1H\rightarrow 3\alpha[/itex] starts with two particles (on the left) and ends with one particle (on the right). Isn't that what "fusion" means?
[itex]^{11}B+ ^1H\rightarrow \alpha + \alpha + \alpha[/itex]

How about now?

mfb
May8-13, 09:59 AM
Mentor
P: 10,767

fusion terminology

@Bandersnatch: :D

That reaction could be both, fusion and fission.
I think (something with protons)+(something with protons) -> (something) is fusion. It might be followed by a fission reaction.
the_wolfman
May8-13, 01:35 PM
P: 129
I agree that the p+B reaction doesn't fit into the typical cookie cutter text book definition of "fusion." But IMO its the best label.

Its helpful to at the binding energies per amu

H-1 is 0. MeV/amu
He-4 is 7.07 MeV/amu
B-11 is 6.93 MeV/amu

Notice that B-11 and He-4 have roughly the same binding energy per amu. This means that most of the energy (7.1 out of 8.7 Mev) released is coming from the conversion of hydrogen to helium. Thus from an energetic standpoint I argue that this is a fusion reaction.

Also the technology required to extract power from this reaction is similar to other fusion reactors but very different from a typical fission reactor. Thus I also argue that from a practical standpoint it useful to categorize p+B with other fusion reactions.

Note that p+B is not unique. If you look up the CNO cycle you'll see that there are several intermediate fusion reactions that involve H reacting with an medium sized nucleus resulting in helium and a smaller product nucleus. Example (H+N-15 = He-4 + C-12).
physwizard
May8-13, 02:25 PM
P: 153
Quote Quote by Bandersnatch View Post
[itex]^{11}B+ ^1H\rightarrow \alpha + \alpha + \alpha[/itex]

How about now?
good one!

Register to reply