Experimenting with Capacitor Discharge Arcs: What's Going On?

In summary, Dave is experimenting with capacitor discharges. Sparks and a loud bang occur when the terminals of the caps are shorted. He advises caution when doing this experiment on a larger scale.
PhysicoRaj
Gold Member
Hi there..
I was experimenting with capacitor discharge arcs. I charged a 340μF cap to 9v and shorted the terminals of the cap. Zap! Sparks!.. Then the terminals got stuck to each other as if they had been glued together! It took me 3-4 seconds pulling at them to separate them. It happens every time I do it and with all other caps. Can anyone tell me what's happening here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
you are arc welding the ends of the wires together

Dave

Likes 1 person
Why.. yes.. Thanks a lot Dave, I'm going to save 500 g of lead and 2.25 kWh of electricity every year now onwards. :cool: :biggrin:

Be careful if you decide to scale up the experiment. The current is only limited by the resistance of the wire and any resistance in the capacitor. Very large currents are possible with the right capacitors and they have the potential to explode (although connecting them with reverse polarity is a better bet if you actually want them to explode).

CWatters said:
Be careful if you decide to scale up the experiment.

Very true. I remember once working on a mains-powered amplifier where the smoothing caps were something like 40,000 uF at 50V.

Before attacking it with a soldering iron, I decided to check the caps were properly discharged by shorting the terminals with a screwdriver.

There was a loud bang, and the screwdriver was a few millimeters shorter, and bladeless.

I've only caps of a few hundred microfarads, a combination would fetch around a max of 5 mF. I have worked with these and they only pop, and harmless unless you hold your face right into them. The worst experience I had was when I was a small boy, I tried making a step up transformer by connecting a 240v-6v step down transformer in the reverse way! I plugged the 6v secondary ends to the 240v mains and waited for the 9600v arc at the primary. But before I could even wait the fireworks had been unleashed... Even today I triple check everything when i hear 'transformer'

1. What is a capacitor discharge arc?

A capacitor discharge arc is a short-lived electric current that flows between two electrodes after being discharged from a charged capacitor. This can create a bright and intense electrical spark.

2. How does a capacitor discharge arc work?

When a capacitor is fully charged, it contains a large amount of electrical energy. When the capacitor is discharged, this energy is released in the form of an electrical current, creating a high voltage arc between the electrodes.

3. What materials are needed to create a capacitor discharge arc?

To create a capacitor discharge arc, you will need a charged capacitor, a power source, two electrodes (such as metal rods), and a switch to discharge the capacitor.

4. What safety precautions should be taken when experimenting with capacitor discharge arcs?

Capacitor discharge arcs can be dangerous and should only be attempted by trained professionals. It is important to use proper safety gear, work in a well-ventilated area, and follow all safety guidelines and precautions when working with high voltage electricity.

5. What are some practical applications of capacitor discharge arcs?

Capacitor discharge arcs have various practical applications, such as in welding, ignition systems, and high voltage power supplies. They can also be used in research and experimentation, such as in studying plasma physics and creating high intensity light sources.