one dimensional diatomic lattice oscillations

by PsychonautQQ
Tags: diatomic, dimensional, lattice, oscillations
PsychonautQQ
Feb12-14, 12:10 PM
P: 305
Suppose we allow two masses M1 and M2 in a one dimensional diatomic lattice to become equal. what happens to the frequency gap? what about in a monatomic lattice?
Knowing that (M1)(A2) + (M2)(A1) = 0
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Global scientific team 'visualizes' a new crystallization process (w/ video)
Modification of structural composite materials to create tailored lenses
Novel technique opens door to better solar cells
DrDu
Feb12-14, 01:58 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,364
a) is this homework?
b) what are A1 and A2?
PsychonautQQ
Feb13-14, 08:28 AM
P: 305
it's one of those "test your knowledge" questions at the end of the chapter, not homework X_x but I've been trying to figure it out on my own and can't. A1 and A2 are amplitudes

DrDu
Feb13-14, 01:57 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,364

one dimensional diatomic lattice oscillations

I don't know what you were shown in that book, so I am not sure about what they expect you to do.
Qualitatively, what kind of oscillations do you expect in a chain made up of, say, H2 molecules (atoms of equal mass but different inter- versus intramolecular distances)?
Anon0123
Feb19-14, 07:43 AM
P: 4
Hey Psychonaut, I know this is probably coming too late, but I had to answer the same question recently on homework lol. Assuming you are also using Omar's book on solid state physics, refer to page 98. Here we see that the frequency gap between the optical and acoustic modes can be defined as (2α^2/M1)^(1/2) - (2α^2/M2)^(1/2) assuming M1<M2. If M1 = M2, then that expression goes to 0 and there is no frequency gap, just acoustic modes like we would expect to see in a typical monoatomic lattice.

Register to reply