Reproducing Boag and Wilson's ionisation curve

• Thread starter vixo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, The conversation is about plotting the ionisation curve of an ionisation chamber and comparing it to the theoretical curve outlined in a paper by Boag and Wilson. The person has tried to reproduce the theoretical curve using a parametric equation but the midpoint on their graph is different from the paper's midpoint. They are seeking help to understand the reason for this difference.
vixo
Hi, I'm trying to plot the the ionisation curve of an ionisation chamber against the theoretical curve outlined by Boag and Wilson in their paper -

http://ab-div-bdi-bl-blm.web.cern.c...turation_spacecharge/saturation_Boag_1952.pdf

I can't follow their derivation for the equation all the way (I know I should, but i don't have much time) but I have tried to reproduce their theoretical curve from the parametric equation for f and xi. I create f and xi from omega, then plot f against xi.

The shape of the curve looks pretty good, but it seems to be in a different place on the x-axis - in the paper the mid point is somewhere around 0.1, on my graph the mid point is somewhere around 3. i can't see a reason for the difference (am i missing something? is it obvious?) attached picture is of of the curve i plotted

help much appreciated
P

Attachments

• ionisationcurve.jpg
    ionisationcurve.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 432
Mathematics news on Phys.org
false alarm. stupid mistake

What is the purpose of reproducing Boag and Wilson's ionisation curve?

The purpose of reproducing Boag and Wilson's ionisation curve is to validate the results and findings of their study and to potentially expand upon their research by using updated methods or technologies.

What materials and methods were used in Boag and Wilson's study?

Boag and Wilson used a variety of materials, including test tubes, various solutions, and a spectrophotometer, to measure the absorbance of different ions. They also used a standardized method for preparing and measuring the solutions and followed a specific procedure for data collection and analysis.

What were the results of Boag and Wilson's ionisation curve?

The results of Boag and Wilson's ionisation curve showed a clear relationship between the concentration of ions and their absorbance values, with a linear increase in absorbance as concentration increased. This supported the theory that ions have a direct impact on the absorbance of light.

What are the potential limitations of reproducing Boag and Wilson's ionisation curve?

One potential limitation is that the materials and methods used in the original study may have been updated or improved since the time of their research. Additionally, there may be discrepancies in results due to differences in equipment or experimental conditions.

How can reproducing Boag and Wilson's ionisation curve contribute to the scientific community?

Reproducing Boag and Wilson's ionisation curve can contribute to the scientific community by providing further evidence and support for their findings. It can also open up opportunities for further research and advancements in the understanding of ionization and its effects on absorbance.