I solved a problem but I need some insight into why it was solved this way.

• Thread starter G01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Insight
In summary, the solution to the problem is to use the total mass of the system, not just the small block's mass.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi. I just solved a homework problem. I eventually got the right answer and am only confused about why it was solved that way. This is the reason I posted it here instead of in the homework help section. All I need is a little insight into why the solution is the way it is. OK here we go:

A 1kg block sits atop a 5kg block as it osscilates on a spring. The period is 1.5s. The small block begins to slip when the Amplitude is increased to .4m What is the coefficient of satic friction bewteen the two blocks.

The solution is simple:

[tex] F_{sp} = f_s [/tex]

[tex] -kA = \mu_smg [/tex]

[tex] \mu_s = \frac{-kA}{mg} [/tex]

Using the period you can solve for k = 105.3 N/m. The you can solve for [tex] \mu_s [/tex]

Now here's my problem. In order to get the right answer you must use m= the total mass of the system= 6kg. I thought that since only the small block was sliding, only its mass shouldbe used in this calculation. Why is the total mass used? That is my question. Thank you for your help. (If this should still be in the homework help section, please move it.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Im bumping the thread.

G01 said:
The solution is simple:

[tex] F_{sp} = f_s [/tex]

[tex] -kA = \mu_smg [/tex]

[tex] \mu_s = \frac{-kA}{mg} [/tex]

Using the period you can solve for k = 105.3 N/m. The you can solve for [tex] \mu_s [/tex]
While your answer happens to be correct, the solution is not. You seem to be assuming that the force of the spring equals the static friction force. Why would that be?

The way to solve it is this: The only force on the small mass is the static friction. What's the maximum possible static friction? Thus what's the maximum allowable acceleration of that small mass before it begins to slide? Set that equal to the acceleration of the whole thing when the spring force is at its maximum.

Now here's my problem. In order to get the right answer you must use m= the total mass of the system= 6kg. I thought that since only the small block was sliding, only its mass shouldbe used in this calculation. Why is the total mass used?
See my comments above. Note that you are solving for the coefficient that will allow both masses to move together without slipping. The entire thing oscillates.

Ahh i see. so what your saying is this. The maximum acceleration from friction is

[tex] \mu_sg = a [/tex]

now I set that equal to the acceleration of the whole system which would be:

[tex] \frac{-kA}{m_{system}} = a = \mu_sg [/tex]

[tex] \frac{-kA}{m_{system}g} = \mu_s [/tex]

Now that would give me the right answer, and now my reasoning is correct I hope. I understand this much better now I think. Thanks alot.

You got it. But watch out for that minus sign, lest someone roll their eyes at you like this: :rolleyes:

:smile:

What is the scientific method and how does it apply to problem solving?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to understanding and solving problems. It involves making observations, forming a hypothesis, designing and conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions. This method can be applied to any problem, as it allows for a logical and objective approach to finding solutions.

Why is it important to understand the reasoning behind a problem solution?

Understanding the reasoning behind a problem solution allows for a deeper understanding of the problem itself. It also allows for the possibility of finding alternative solutions or applying the same reasoning to other problems in the future.

What role does critical thinking play in problem solving?

Critical thinking is essential in problem solving as it involves analyzing and evaluating information to form a logical and well-reasoned solution. It also helps to identify potential biases or flaws in the reasoning process.

Can different problems have similar solutions?

Yes, different problems can have similar solutions if they share similar characteristics or can be approached using the same reasoning process. This is why understanding the reasoning behind a problem solution is important, as it allows for the application of similar solutions to different problems.

How can collaboration and communication aid in problem solving?

Collaboration and communication can bring together different perspectives and ideas, leading to a more comprehensive understanding of the problem and potential solutions. It also allows for the sharing of knowledge and expertise, which can aid in finding the most effective solution.