Viscosity of oil at various temperatures

In summary, the individual is attempting to determine the viscosity of oil at different temperatures, but is getting extreme results. They are using a formula and have provided the density of a steel ball bearing and oil, as well as the velocity and radius of the ball bearing. They are seeking assistance and apologize for any errors made in their calculations.
nvidia17
I'm trying to work out the viscosity of oil at various temperatures. I've got all my results, but when I try to work out the viscosity I get some really far out answers. What region would you expect the viscosity of oil room temperature to be? I get this result for viscosity of oil: -1330245.26.

This is the formula I'm using.
viscosity.jpg

I've found the density of the steel ball bearing to be 7545.4kg/m3 and the density of oil to be 168.8kg/m3.

I know the working out of the velocity is correct, at 0.44m/s¹

The radius of the ball bearing is 0.0061m
What looks out of place here?

This is my A2 coursework, so tips or help would be appreciated. :shy:

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I'm sorry for this, but it turns out I made an error in my formula's Excel. I double checked them with a calculater and realized that I hadn't put the radius in metres, but mm.

Sorry for the inconvenience. :tongue:

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your results and formula for calculating the viscosity of oil at various temperatures. It seems that your results are quite far off from what is expected for the viscosity of oil at room temperature. There could be a few reasons for this discrepancy.

Firstly, it is important to make sure that all of your units are consistent when using the formula. It seems that you have used meters per second (m/s) for velocity, but what units have you used for the radius of the ball bearing? Make sure that all units are in the correct SI (metric) units to ensure accurate results.

Secondly, it is also important to consider the accuracy and precision of your measurements. Are you using calibrated equipment to measure the velocity and dimensions of the ball bearing? Even small errors in measurements can greatly affect the final results.

Lastly, it is important to consider the type of oil you are using and its properties. Different types of oil can have different viscosities at the same temperature. Make sure that you are using the correct density and other properties for the specific type of oil you are testing.

I hope these tips will help you troubleshoot your results and improve the accuracy of your calculations. Best of luck with your coursework!

1. What is viscosity?

Viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. In simple terms, it is a measure of how thick or sticky a fluid is.

2. How does temperature affect the viscosity of oil?

As temperature increases, the viscosity of oil decreases. This is because the molecules in the oil move faster and are able to flow more easily, reducing the resistance to flow.

3. Why is the viscosity of oil important?

The viscosity of oil is important because it affects the performance and efficiency of machinery that relies on oil for lubrication. It can also impact the flow of oil through pipelines and the ease of transportation.

4. How is the viscosity of oil measured?

The viscosity of oil is typically measured using a viscometer, which measures the time it takes for a fixed volume of oil to flow through a capillary tube under a specific temperature and pressure. The resulting value is usually given in units of centipoise (cP) or centistokes (cSt).

5. Can the viscosity of oil be changed?

Yes, the viscosity of oil can be changed by altering its temperature or by adding viscosity modifiers, which are additives that can increase or decrease the thickness of the oil. Some oils also have different viscosities at different shear rates, which can be taken into consideration when selecting the appropriate oil for a specific application.