Spontaneous Reactions and Molar Entropy

In summary, the reaction A(g) --> B(g) is spontaneous under standard conditions. This means that the reverse reaction, B(g) --> A(g), is nonspontaneous under standard conditions. Time is not a factor in determining spontaneity, so statement II is also not true. The substance with the highest standard molar entropy at 25 C is C2H4(g) because it is the only one in gas form, which has the most disorder.
Soaring Crane
The reaction A(g) --> B(g) is spontaneous under standard conditions. Which of the following statements must be true?

I. B(g) --> A(g) is nonspontaneous under standard conditions.
II. A(g) will be completely converted to B(g) if sufficient time is allowed.
III. A(g) will be completely converted to B(g) rapidly.

a. none of these
b. I
c. I and II
d. I, II, and III

The speed of the reaction, or kinetics, is not used to define a spontaneous reaction, so III doesn't fit. It is I because
I is the reverse reaction, but I am not fully certain of II.

Which substance will have the highest standard molar entropy at 25 C ?
a. C(graphite)
b. C2H4(g)
c. CH3OH(l)
d. MgCO3(s)

Is it the only one in gas form since it has the most disorder?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) II is also not true, can you tell me why? Think about the equilibrium Gibb's equation.

2)If it's a gas in standard conditions, yes.

Yes, you are correct. The substance with the highest standard molar entropy at 25 C would be C2H4(g) because it is in the gaseous state, which has the most disorder and therefore the highest entropy. The other substances are in solid or liquid form, which have lower entropies.

1. What is a spontaneous reaction?

A spontaneous reaction is a chemical reaction that occurs without the need for external influence or input of energy. This means that the reaction will occur naturally and without any outside assistance.

2. How is spontaneity related to molar entropy?

Molar entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. The second law of thermodynamics states that the universe tends towards a state of increasing disorder. Therefore, spontaneous reactions are those that result in an increase in molar entropy.

3. Can a non-spontaneous reaction become spontaneous?

Yes, a non-spontaneous reaction can become spontaneous under certain conditions. For example, if the temperature is increased or the pressure is decreased, the reaction may become spontaneous.

4. How does entropy affect the rate of spontaneous reactions?

Entropy does not directly affect the rate of spontaneous reactions. However, it can indirectly affect the rate by influencing the stability and energy of the reactants and products.

5. Can the molar entropy of a system be negative?

No, molar entropy cannot be negative. This is because entropy is a measure of disorder, and disorder cannot be negative. However, the change in molar entropy can be negative, indicating a decrease in disorder.