Buck,boost and buck-boost with PID controller problem

In summary, you are trying to build buck,boost and buck-boost converters in Matlab/Simulink, but you don't know how to calculate PID parameters. You are also trying to simulate these converters with another method of control, like hysteresis controll, current programmed control, or sliding mode control. You are using PID loops for so far, and you are hoping that someone earlier has tried to simulate these converters in Simulink and have some examples circuit. The last link you show is a good one. Your PID circuit will need to use a sample of the output voltage, and determine the cycle-by-cycle pulse width to use in turning on your ideal switch. You also
tester
Hi!

I try to simulate buck,boost and buck-boost converters in Matlab/Simulink with PID controller but I don't know how calculate PID parameters Sad Anybody knows how I calculate this parameters ? Or maybe someone haves buck,boost or buck-boost example circuit in Matlab/Simulink ?

Or maybe someone simulate this converters with another method of control like hysteresis controll, current programmed control or sliding mode control ?

Plz help me :(

PS. Sorry for my language mistakes :(

Engineering news on Phys.org
What power supply textbook are you using? And what power supply design website resources have you found so far? How detailed do you want your simulation to be? Like, do you want just simplified cycle-by-cycle simulations, or do you want SPICE level accuracy, including parasitics?

I looked to Simulink Help and I found model of boost converter : http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/toolbox/physmod/powersys/igbt.html

But I want to build buck, boost and buck-boost converters using an Ideal Switch (not IGBT or MOSFET) and I want build my converters with one of control methods in closed-loop circuit (not using block Pulse Generator). So I have decided to build this converters with PID regulator and I don't know how design this regulator.

I read this pages :
http://services.eng.uts.edu.au/~venkat/pe_html/pe07_nc8.htm
http://www.powerdesigners.com/InfoWeb/design_center/articles/DC-DC/converter.shtm

Maybe someone earlier try to simulate this converters in Simulink and have some examples circuit ?

Last edited by a moderator:
The last link you show is a good one. It doesn't talk much about the feedback loop, however. Your PID circuit will need to use a sample of the output voltage, and determine the cycle-by-cycle pulse width to use in turning on your ideal switch. Quiescently, the PW will just be related to the ratio of the input and output voltages (assuming an ideal switch and a zero volt drop ideal diode). But when the output current varies, your control element needs to use PWM to keep the output voltage within regulation.

What have you used PID loops for so far? How much control loop theory have you had?

Heh :(

Maybe you take a look for my Simulink model and maybe you try fix this ? Here is link : http://gacolek.wz.cz/buck_PID.zip

I wait for answer :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm only able to read the Simulink file as a text file -- I don't use Simulink.

What compensation method are you going to use for the feedback loop? Are you using lag or lead compensation? What is your phase margin? Are you using a state space approximation in your calculations? What minimum current are you going to allow on the buck output? Are you going to include discontinuous mode operation (and the different loop characteristics), or are you going to require a minimum Iout that keeps your buck running in continuous mode?

I try to build a buck converter with follow parameters :
Vin = 24V
Vo = 12V
Ro = 13Ohm
L = 69uH
C = 220uF
fs = 100kHz
it's work with CCM mode.

My feedback signal witch I use to control is voltage. In feedback loop I added PID regulator, where the lead compensator is derivative action (D) and lag compensator is integral action (I).

Good so far. Now what is your feedback equation? What gain-phase plot does that give? What is your phase margin?

To test your control loop, you will need to vary the output current and see what the loop response is. You generally test a power supply circuit to determine its load response (how well the output voltage stays regulated when the output current changes) and its "line" response (how well the output voltage stays regulated when the input voltage varies). Your simulation should test both of these responses, and your calculation of the phase margin is an important measure of stability.

1. What is a PID controller and how does it work?

A PID (Proportional-Integral-Derivative) controller is an electronic feedback control system used to regulate the output of a system based on the difference between a desired setpoint and the current output. It calculates an error signal by comparing the setpoint with the actual output, and then adjusts the control input based on proportional, integral, and derivative terms to minimize the error and achieve the desired output.

2. What is the difference between buck, boost, and buck-boost converters?

A buck converter is a DC-DC converter that steps down the input voltage to a lower output voltage. A boost converter, on the other hand, steps up the input voltage to a higher output voltage. A buck-boost converter combines the functions of both, allowing for both step-up and step-down voltage conversion. These converters are used to efficiently regulate the output voltage of power supplies, battery chargers, and other electronic devices.

3. How do PID controllers improve the performance of buck, boost, and buck-boost converters?

PID controllers can improve the performance of power converters by providing accurate and fast response to changes in the output voltage. The proportional term of the PID controller adjusts the control input based on the current error, the integral term takes into account past errors to eliminate steady-state error, and the derivative term anticipates future changes in the output to provide a more stable response.

4. What are the main challenges when implementing a PID controller in power converters?

One of the main challenges in implementing a PID controller in power converters is tuning the controller parameters to achieve optimal performance. This requires an understanding of the system dynamics and proper selection of the proportional, integral, and derivative gains. Another challenge is mitigating noise and disturbances in the system, which can affect the accuracy and stability of the control loop.

5. What are some applications of buck, boost, and buck-boost converters with PID controllers?

Buck, boost, and buck-boost converters with PID controllers are commonly used in a variety of electronic systems, including power supplies, motor control, renewable energy systems, and electric vehicles. They are also widely used in industrial automation and process control to regulate the output of systems such as heaters, ovens, and chemical reactors.