Find time if boxes moved X distance

• Thread starter sweetdaisy186
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, Skid needs to use a coefficient of friction of 0.8 in order to stop just before he crashes into the wall.
sweetdaisy186
Hey guys! Here's another question

A mass, m1=5 kg, is on a frictionless ramp. The mass is connected to a cable that passes over a pulley which is then attached to a second hanging mass, m2 = 10kg. How long will it take the boxes to move 3 m if they are released from rest?

My problem with these questions, is that I don't know how to approach them. I need help determining how I should approach this problem, what I should be thinking about, how do I know which formula to use ect. Basically, I don't know how to start the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have attached a picture for this as well.

Thanks

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    87.4 KB · Views: 542
Physics news on Phys.org
The forces involved are the weights of the two masses, the tension in the cable and the normal force from the ramp to the mass m1.
equate this to obtain the acceleration acting on the masses. Knowing the acceleration, you can calculate the time to move 3m.

I see. that makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

Calculate Friction

Hey guys! I think I have half of the question figured out

The question:

Skid is driving his car at 80 mi/hr. While reading the Springfield Reivedw of Books, he looks up and notices he is about to crash into a wall. When he is 100 m from the wall, he puts on the brakes. If Skid does not lock his brakes, calculate the coefficient of friction he needs so that he stops just before he hits the wall. What type of friction does he use?

My work:

I know that this involves kinetic friction. I thought I should calculate acceleration so that I can use the force equation.

I used the V^2 = V0^2 + 2a*delta X

I got an acceleration of 0.8. In order to use the SumFx = m*a equation, don't I need a mass so that I can somehow solve for the kinetic friction?

whoops! Sorry, my mistake!

1. How do you calculate the time if boxes have moved a certain distance?

The time it takes for boxes to move a certain distance can be calculated by dividing the distance by the speed at which the boxes are moving. This equation is represented as: time = distance / speed.

2. Can you find the time if you know the speed and distance of the boxes?

Yes, the time can be found by using the same equation: time = distance / speed. By plugging in the values for speed and distance, you can calculate the time it takes for the boxes to move a specific distance.

3. Is there a specific unit of measurement for time when calculating the movement of boxes?

The most commonly used unit of measurement for time is seconds. However, depending on the distance and speed of the boxes, other units such as minutes, hours, or even days may be used.

4. What other factors should be considered when calculating the time for boxes to move a certain distance?

In addition to distance and speed, other factors that may affect the time it takes for boxes to move include the weight of the boxes, the surface they are being moved on, and any external forces such as friction or resistance.

5. Can you use this equation for any type of box or object?

Yes, this equation can be used for any type of box or object as long as the distance and speed are known. However, if the object is moving at a variable speed, the equation may need to be modified to account for changes in speed over time.