Solve Word Problem: 2006 Taxes Based on 33% Bracket

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for calculating taxes in the US and how it changes when an individual receives a raise that places them in a higher tax bracket. The book answer suggests using a multiplier of 1.25 for the new tax bracket, but it is unclear where this number came from. The conversation concludes with the suggestion that there may be errors or missing information in the textbook.
kuahji
Every year in the US each working American typically pays in taxes a percentage of his or her earnings (minus the stand deuction). Karen's 2005 taxes were calculated based on the formula T(x)= .22(x-6500). That year the standard deduction was $6,500 & her tax bracket paid 22%. Write the function that will determine her 2006 taxes assuming she receives a raise that places her in a 33% braket.

So I wrote at .33(x-6,500). Seemed simply enough, but I guess maybe it was too simple. The book answer is .33(1.25x-6,500). What I don't understand is where the 1.25 came from.

Physics news on Phys.org
kuahji said:
Every year in the US each working American typically pays in taxes a percentage of his or her earnings (minus the stand deuction). Karen's 2005 taxes were calculated based on the formula T(x)= .22(x-6500). That year the standard deduction was $6,500 & her tax bracket paid 22%. Write the function that will determine her 2006 taxes assuming she receives a raise that places her in a 33% braket.

So I wrote at .33(x-6,500). Seemed simply enough, but I guess maybe it was too simple. The book answer is .33(1.25x-6,500). What I don't understand is where the 1.25 came from.
I don't either unless there was more information than you gave us. The book, giving T(x)= .22(x- 6500) is assuming that 22% is the lowest tax bracket. Being in a higher tax bracket, such as 33%, does not mean you pay 33% of taxable income. You pay the lowest percentage, 22% here, on income lower up to the cut off, then the next percentage, which your book is presuming is 33% on income above that. Did your book say what the cutoff between 22% and 33% is?

Nope, that was the complete problem. No hidden information. I thought it was a bit confusing & incomplete myself.

In my experience there are errata in textbooks, especially math ones. The people that compose the answers do so hurriedly and there is room for error. It could be possible that the answer is simply part of the growing errata that exists in our academic world.

What is a 33% tax bracket?

A 33% tax bracket refers to the tax rate at which individuals or businesses are taxed on their income. This means that for every dollar earned within this bracket, 33 cents goes towards taxes.

How is the tax bracket determined?

The tax bracket is determined by the amount of taxable income earned in a given year. The more income earned, the higher the tax bracket and rate will be.

What is the significance of 2006 in this word problem?

2006 is the year for which the taxes are being calculated. This means that the tax rates and brackets used will reflect those from 2006, not the current year.

How do I calculate my taxes based on a 33% bracket?

To calculate your taxes based on a 33% bracket, you will need to first determine your taxable income for the year. Then, multiply that amount by 0.33 to calculate the amount of taxes owed.

Are there any other factors that may affect my taxes besides the tax bracket?

Yes, there are other factors that may affect your taxes, such as deductions, exemptions, and tax credits. These can all impact your taxable income and ultimately, the amount of taxes you owe.