Chlorine in Water: Investigating Common Drinks

• Thread starter Papak
  • Start date
In summary, Papak is seeking feedback on their investigation into the amount of chlorine in common drinks such as water. They plan to use silver nitrate to react with the chlorine and determine its quantity, but are concerned about other chemicals in the water interfering. Ultimately, they realize that this experiment may not be possible in their school laboratory and have changed their plans.
Papak
Hey its me again and I am just hoping for a few comments on my work on an investigation were doing in chemistry class about common drinks and additive in them. I've decided to do Water and Chlorine in the water to investigate how much chlorine is in water bottled and tap. My thoughts are that if i get a substance that will be more attractive to chlorine than the other chemicals in water bonding with the chlorine and if i make a formula on the reaction i can figure out how much chlorine there is by how much of the substance reacts with the chlorine. My original thought was silver nitrate, as i read it in my chemistry textbook but on the internet it says that the silver nitrate will react with only with a Compound including chlorine to form a percipitate, i think it was calcium chloride ill go back and find it. But anyway I am not sure if it'll work because the silver nitrate might mix with some other chemicals in the water. Anyway these are my thoughts so far. Thanks for taking the time reading and any comments will be usefull. Regards Papak

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, its not possible to do in school laborotries that we have, I've changed the experiment to do something more able in our school labs, thanks anyway. Papak

Hi Papak,

Your investigation into the amount of chlorine in water is a great idea! It is important to understand the composition of our drinking water and the potential additives in it.

Using silver nitrate as a reagent to test for chlorine is a common method in chemistry. However, as you mentioned, it may react with other compounds in the water, making it difficult to accurately measure the amount of chlorine present. You may want to consider using a different reagent, such as potassium iodide, which is more specific for chlorine and will not react with other substances in the water.

Additionally, it would be helpful to standardize your procedure and use controls to ensure accurate results. This could include testing a known concentration of chlorine in water as a control and comparing it to your samples. It may also be useful to test multiple samples of different types of bottled and tap water to get a more comprehensive understanding of the chlorine levels.

Overall, your thought process and approach to this investigation is impressive. Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions or need assistance. Good luck with your research!

Best regards,

1. Is chlorine in water harmful to drink?

Chlorine is added to drinking water as a disinfectant to kill harmful bacteria and viruses. In small amounts, it is not harmful to drink and is actually necessary to ensure safe drinking water. However, high levels of chlorine can have negative health effects, so it is important to monitor and regulate its levels in drinking water.

2. How does chlorine affect the taste and smell of water?

Chlorine can give water a strong, unpleasant taste and odor. This is because chlorine reacts with organic compounds in water, forming byproducts that can affect its taste and smell. Some people are more sensitive to these compounds than others, so the taste and smell of chlorine in water can vary from person to person.

3. Can chlorine in water be removed?

Yes, there are several methods for removing chlorine from water. These include using activated carbon filters, boiling the water, or allowing it to sit in an open container for a period of time. Some bottled water brands also use filtration processes to remove chlorine and other contaminants.

4. Are there any health risks associated with long-term exposure to chlorine in water?

There is some evidence that long-term exposure to high levels of chlorine in drinking water may increase the risk of certain health problems, such as bladder and rectal cancer. However, the risk is still relatively low and can be mitigated by maintaining chlorine levels within recommended levels.

5. How can I find out the level of chlorine in my drinking water?

You can contact your local water utility or check their annual water quality report to find out the level of chlorine in your drinking water. You can also purchase a home water testing kit or send a water sample to a laboratory for testing. It is important to regularly monitor the levels of chlorine in your drinking water to ensure it is within the recommended range for safe consumption.