More quick work and energy questions

In summary, the conversation discusses the ratio of final kinetic energy to initial kinetic energy when an object hits a wall and bounces back with half of its original speed. The correct ratio is not 1:2 as initially suggested, but rather 1:0.25 as the final kinetic energy is 1/4 of the initial kinetic energy.
future_vet
An object hits a wall and bounces back with half if its original speed. What is the ratio of the final kinetic energy to the initial kinetic energy?
I am not sure I understand the question, is it 1:2?

A ball drops some distance and gains 30 J of kinetic energy. Do not ignore air resistance. How much gravitational potential did the ball lose?
I would say more than 30J since we have to take air resistance into consideration.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
future_vet said:
An object hits a wall and bounces back with half if its original speed. What is the ratio of the final kinetic energy to the initial kinetic energy?
I am not sure I understand the question, is it 1:2?

Not so fast. Write down the kinetic energies and look at the ratio.

First is 1 and second is 0.5 => 1/0.5 =2. Is this correct?

future_vet said:

No, it isn't. The first kinetic energy is 1/2 m v^2, and the second is 1/2 m (1/2 v)^2. What is their ratio?

future_vet said:

No - the kinetic energy of the object is (1/2)mv^2.

I am not sure I get it, but it looks like 1:0.5 to me...

future_vet said:
I am not sure I get it, but it looks like 1:0.5 to me...

Do you know how to take the ratio of 1/2 m (1/2 v)^2 (final kinetic energy) and 1/2 m v^2 (initial kinetic energy)?

I guess not... It's ok, I'll figure it out.

Thanks!

1. What is the relationship between work and energy?

The relationship between work and energy is that work is the transfer of energy from one object to another. When work is done on an object, its energy changes.

2. How are power and work related?

Power is the rate at which work is done. This means that the more power something has, the faster work can be done. In other words, power is the amount of work done per unit of time.

3. What is the formula for calculating work?

The formula for calculating work is work = force x distance. This means that the amount of work done is equal to the force applied multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

4. How is energy measured?

Energy is measured in joules (J). However, there are different types of energy, such as kinetic and potential energy, which have their own units of measurement.

5. Can energy be created or destroyed?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transferred from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.